Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have thought about going but I hear it is a cloverleaf century. (Can anyone confirm this)
Sounds picky, I know, I am just not a big fan of the central rest stop. When it is done right it's okay, done poorly and it's a sucky day.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
I have thought about going but I hear it is a cloverleaf century. (Can anyone confirm this)
Sounds picky, I know, I am just not a big fan of the central rest stop. When it is done right it's okay, done poorly and it's a sucky day.
Four leaf clover with the parking out at the end of the first "leaf". Why does it matter? - TF

BTw - Painted the Red Loop route markers today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cloverleaf?

Truth Hurts said:

I have to ask for the benefit of those of us not in the know. What is a "cloverleaf century"? (You keep returning to the same rest stop, over and over again?)

I'm planning to do this century for the first time. Any details/comments about the route? The surrounding area sounds quite scenic.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
RoughRider said:
I have to ask for the benefit of those of us not in the know. What is a "cloverleaf century"? (You keep returning to the same rest stop, over and over again?)

I'm planning to do this century for the first time. Any details/comments about the route? The surrounding area sounds quite scenic.
There is one central rest stop with 4 loops out of that rest stop - 2 x 20 mile loops plus 2 x 30 mile loops. (See below) If you want to do 30 miles, you just do 1 loop; 50= a 20 mile and a 30 mile loop;...; 100 miles= all 4 loops. In our case the start/parking is out at the end of one of the "leaves" so that you do a half loop (15 miles) to the rest stop to begin and the other half at the end to get back to your car. The advantage is that we only have one rest stop (plus the parking/registration site) to man/maintain and can concentrate all of our efforts on it. The dissadvantage is ????. It's not crowded - there are no lines.

The route is "Southern Wisconsin" with a dip into Illinois. There is a combination of scenic roads both around/through the lake areas and across the farm lands. The loops are set up so that those for the longer distance riders only are less scenic, more 'get aero and ride" vs. the short mileage loops that have more corners, stop signs, etc. (and more scenery).

The roads are well marked and we provide cue sheets and maps.

Web site: http://www.bikebclc.com/default/default.htm

TF

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i think the disadvantage...

...is the looping back to a central location. as stated above, when it is done right it is good. when parking, refreshments, etc are not controlled, and everyone from the different leaves hits the rest area at the same time, it can be bad. looks like ramble doesnt have the start/end in the center of the cloverleaf, so that might be ok.

another advantage if the rest area is at the center of the cloverleaf is you can go out for another leaf if you feel yp to it. for instance, if you sign up for the 30 miler but feel you have another 20 in your legs, you just top off your water, grab some raisins, and go.

one thing i like about having multiple rest areas (on the few rides i have done) is each has its own personality. it gives you something to wonder about while riding to the next one. and talk about at the end of the ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It makes perfect sense as to why a club would do a central rest stop. I just don’t find them to be as enjoyable. I’d be curious if it were put to a poll would more people prefer the central stop, the rambling 4-5 stops or not care.

Looks like you’ll have great weather (so they say now) enjoy the ride,

TH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.