Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made a large order with Ribble and received it in a very short amount of time at a great price. Shortly after my order, I started getting <$1 charges on my Visa which means that someone is testing out my account. My bank identified it before I did and I have cancelled my card. There is a thread over on Serotta discussing the same thing and the common denominator seems to be Ribble. I sent them an email letting them know what had happened.

If you have made a recent order from Ribble, I recommend keeping an eye on your credit card charges. I hope it was all a coincidence since I really like Ribble.

·
Squalor
239 Posts
Good information. Just placed a large order with Ribble also. Checked my card tonight and had no issues, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the tip.

LP

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ribbles have a ongoing problem with their system being hacked and getting their database compromised. Considering this is about the fourth or fifth incident in the last two years I would have thought that their security would have improved. Seem like they don't really see it as a problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never had any problems with this type of stuff until I started buying things from pbk, must be some euro issue. Happened last week again, 1st was some $2 charge and then a $600 charge to mcafee. Citi picks this stuff up pretty quick, but it does prompt me to check my cc activity pretty regularly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
thanks

Thanks BigBill. I too just ordered from Ribble. No charges yet...sucks that I have to check daily.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hate to report...I just received a fraudulent charge on my cc card - listed as Itunes for $1.00. Neither me nor my wife ordered anything from Itunes recently.

Just had the card shut down, bank is issuing me a new card.

Beware of Ribble people!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
teh moreon said:
note: if you're CC offers alerts of any type, sign up for them!!
That is exactly how I found out...signed up for the alerts once I read about other people with this issue.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Bill.

I religiously check my credit card and bank accounts online daily. I'd recommend anyone, especially those of you who order things online, to do it regularly :thumbsup:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed - I've never had a single identity theft or credit card fraud issues, although I'm still young.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
cclaeys said:
I never had any problems with this type of stuff until I started buying things from pbk, must be some euro issue. Happened last week again, 1st was some $2 charge and then a $600 charge to mcafee. Citi picks this stuff up pretty quick, but it does prompt me to check my cc activity pretty regularly.
Nothing for me on my MC since I ordered from PBK, but I did see my bastard credit card company jacked me for $1.59 on a $50 purchase for a "foreign transaction fee" :rolleyes:

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
I made a purchase from Ribble last month.
I'm calling my credit card company to re-issue me a replacement card.....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bigbill said:
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa. Never a problem with PBK, when I order from them I get an approval pop-up from Visa to confirm my identity. Sorry man, I love Ribble too but I can't have this happen again.
Well I was just trying to see if it might have been more widespread and we were unfairly singling out Ribble, but it does look like Ribble is the hotspot from all I've read so far. I would not order from them now until I was confident this was addressed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been exchanging email with Ribble this morning. They say they have checked into it and it is not their issue. They may be right, but I will not order from them again.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
kmc said:
I have been sharing email with Ribble this morning. They say they have checked into it and it is not their issue. They may be right, but I will not order from them again.
Whose issue is it then? If it's the bank or credit processing service they use then it is their issue. I predict they will be out of biz shortly unless they address this head on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Whose issue is it then? If it's the bank or credit processing service they use then it is their issue. I predict they will be out of biz shortly unless they address this head on.
Don't know...I just will not shop with them again. This is the first time this has happened to me. There does seem to be a pattern.

Sucks too...I had great service through the site. They are also quick to answer my emails.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Good info, thanks for the heads up.
I was about to place a fairly large order from Ribble, not now.

Anyone know of a safe place to order Campy from.
Looks like PBK and Ribble are out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I placed a Ribble VISA order in early Jan. 09 with no fraud issues for two statements.I think we need more data to condemn Ribble specifically.

·
Registered
184 Posts
data point...

jordan said:
I placed a Ribble VISA order in early Jan. 09 with no fraud issues for two statements.I think we need more data to condemn Ribble specifically.
Here is my data point: I use my cc sparingly and have no auto charging going to it. I have never had a fraud issue. I placed an order with Ribble. I read about BigBill's and others coincidence. I place alert notification on my cc. One week later I get a fraud charge.

Read into what you want. To me, it points to a problem with the transaction with Ribble. Was it them specifically? I don't think you and I will ever know. I don't know if Ribble uses a third party for their ecommerce transactions or not...so who knows where the cc numbers are stored electronically.

I do know that more than a few of us have experienced this. This thread is just a heads-up to anyone that has used Ribble lately. If people want to continue to order from them, go for it. I will not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts