Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my LBS do a Complete Overhaul on my bike. They apparantly replaced the bearings on my Zipp 404's. After bringing the bike home, I realized my wheels do not spin nearly as long as before. They used to spin for ever, now they rotate for about a minute, should I be concerned??

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
TS2213 said:
I just had my LBS do a Complete Overhaul on my bike. They apparantly replaced the bearings on my Zipp 404's. After bringing the bike home, I realized my wheels do not spin nearly as long as before. They used to spin for ever, now they rotate for about a minute, should I be concerned??
If you are talking about "spinning forever" when the bike is off the ground I wouldn't be too concerned. Try it under load, as in ride it, and see how they respond. They could've tightened the bearings too much or perhaps your bearings were too loose before.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Zipp bearings have a very loose fitting seal that gives you that "spin forever" in the stand. The new bearings have tighter fitting seals so they have a tiny bit of seal drag when spinning them in the stand. When you are on the bike it will not make any difference and after you have some miles on them the seals will break in and the wheels will spin easier in the stand.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
If you spin the bearings and they feel smooth, then the resistance is unimportant. If they feel "gritty" then there is a problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is what happened... after riding my wheels, I realized 'somethings not right' as I stated , the wheels did not spin freely and felt sluggish on road. It was becoming frustrating because I returned the wheels to my LBS only to be told..all is good, and this is normal. Well...after returning home, I disassembled the Front Wheel Axle..only to realize. the "o rings' provided to keep the dust caps secured. Were used as 'gaskets' they were tightened against wheel and axle as opposed to slide over axle and keep dust caps in place. These o rings GO OVER axle not in between axle . there was the issue. After sliding o rings over and re-assembling the wheel, they spun endlessly as usual!!

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
If you can really feel the difference - on the road - between a wheel which can spin free 'forever' on the stand and one which merely spins a minute, then I bow before you.

You will then possibly discern a difference between steel and ceramic bearings, too.

I urge you to apply your talents in the field of professional testing of bike components.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should Bow before me...as I knew something wasn't right with the wheels!!!! As I stated..the ORings were tightened AGAINST the Bearing..causing Resistance, it was like riding with the Brake rubbing. Now, I may not be a Rocket Scientist, but I have riden this Bike and this Wheelset for over 10,000 miles and know the feel. Hey but, thank you for the praise!!! But all it really took was a five minute inspection of the wheel to notice the problem...and it is something my LBS should be ashamed of. Problem is, one of the Mechanis races on my team and I don't wan't to cause dissention.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
TS2213 said:
But all it really took was a five minute inspection of the wheel to notice the problem...and it is something my LBS should be ashamed of. Problem is, one of the Mechanis races on my team and I don't wan't to cause dissention.
At least give him some good-natured grief. They not only hosed the rebuild, but also told you it was fine when it wasn't! Maybe ask him if he was trying to slow you down so he could beat you,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts