Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Xenon/Mirage brifters on a commuter/beater bike? I can't see spending Chorus/Record money on a set of brifters for a bike that's going to see a hard life.

Second, what's the difference between Xenon and Mirage brifters? I'm referring to the newer Escape models. I really don't care about not being able to drop the entire cassette in one shift. I've never used that function and probably never will.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have 9 and 10 speed Mirage shifters, though less than 1000 miles. Some complain of wear on the plastic click parts inside but I have not seen this as of yet.

In terms of function, they work great with less friction than the newer Ultrashift allowing use with the recent 10 speed derailleurs with the weak return spring (or with the older stronger spring).

There is a small amount of added flex in the plastic brake lever, but this is barely noticeable.

For about $60 at Ribble there is no competition at even twice the price. For a high-mileage commuter, I cannot say for sure they are the right part, but for a part-time use bike they can't be beat. If you don't mind the time to install, you otherwise cannot go too far wrong.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot about the plastic thumb levers. Considering cables are $40 a set, how can they sell the complete shifter for that. You could take the Escape mech out and use it as a brake lever for that price. And it would be genuine Campy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.