Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive of bees and wanted to post a few pics. The pic of the bees on the frame was taken because the queen is one of the bees. Can you spot her?

The other frame is one that is full of capped honey.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
No I can't spot her, my eyes seem to be a bit out of focus. ;) Do they have all that honey left over from winter or did they harvest that already. Spring is really late here so I guess a lot of beekeepers had to feed their bees just to get them through the winter, I saw the first ones just a few weeks ago.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That was an early March photo and my hive had several frames of honey left so they were in pretty good shape. I filled some empty frames up with sugar water to promote bee raising. We only get on major honey flow in our region and it comes very early. If your bees aren't built up and ready to go by May you just don't get any surplus honey.

I will post an isolated pic of the queen later on in the day.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Is this one of those silly poster that they used to have, if you look long enough you will see the hidden picture?

Cause I swear I saw Queen Elizabeth, but then again it might be a reaction to the food I had last night.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Man, I didn't know bees were so ugly when you looked at them up close.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
paint said:
Man, I didn't know bees were so ugly when you looked at them up close.
When I was about 8 years old I managed to get some honey on my hands and I spent some 30 minutes observing one up close. I wasn't amused.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Well she's obviously not wearing her little crown, so I can't pick her out.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
bigrider said:
That was an early March photo and my hive had several frames of honey left so they were in pretty good shape. I filled some empty frames up with sugar water to promote bee raising. We only get on major honey flow in our region and it comes very early. If your bees aren't built up and ready to go by May you just don't get any surplus honey.

I will post an isolated pic of the queen later on in the day.
I'd like to get a hive someday when I get the room for it, like a plot on the allotments or something. There's been outbreaks of foulbrood real close, so I'll wait to see how it develops before making any decisions even if I get a plot.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
This her?
You are correct and entitled to one free beekeeping session in my backyard.

Veil and gloves are optional.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snapdragen said:

She doesn't wear a crown but the good news is she is waited upon by a group of attendants. They feed her and take care of her so she can take care of the hive.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
bigrider said:
She doesn't wear a crown but the good news is she is waited upon by a group of attendants. They feed her and take care of her so she can take care of the hive.
Sounds like Snap around here.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lousylegs said:
Sounds like Snap around here.

Exactly like Snap. We must pay attention, she demands it, she has earned it, because she is the Lounge Queen.

Let's just be glad that the mating procedure isn't the same for humans.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
snapdragen said:
Snap,
I must admit to hearing about a rumour going around the lounge that you're actually royalty?? An actual descendant of the Swedish King Gustav himself? Is this true? Do you have people waiting on hand and feet? If so, I am honoured to be in your presence, even if it's only electronically.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I'm glad you people have come to realize how special I am. I shall await my crown, and the royal Lemon Drop glass. ;)

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
colker1 said:
i'm SURE you can pick a queen however disguised she is..

only the boy ones.......

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I should have people waiting on me, but every time I ask they just laugh and say "yeah right". They'll be sorry once my guillotine is delivered.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts