Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
45 male, been of the bike for 6 months but i have been a little active and worked out, lost a few pounds. Past 6-8 weeks had a little pneumonia and sinus infections but over it and want to get back on the horse for the new year. I have an indoor trainer i use with zwift (or if anyone has another recommendation).

So my plan was to try and ride for the first few weeks 3-5 miles a day on the trainer and keep bumping it up every week along with weights. Does this sound like a plan that would work or am i better off getting on the trainer less days a week and going as long as i could?

Any recommendations or help is appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
3 to 5 miles isn't much time on a trainer - I would think in terms of time at intensity on the trainer not distance. My opinion, an hour is a good starting point for time pedaling on the trainer, at an endurance pace for your current level of fitness. Maybe alternate days between trainer and weights with one day off a week doing nothing (assuming the weights are not targeting leg muscles).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 to 5 miles isn't much time on a trainer - I would think in terms of time at intensity on the trainer not distance. My opinion, an hour is a good starting point for time pedaling on the trainer, at an endurance pace for your current level of fitness. Maybe alternate days between trainer and weights with one day off a week doing nothing (assuming the weights are not targeting leg muscles).
thank you for the reply! i guess you are right in regards to time, im assuming when most train they look at time and not miles?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I think most people riding on a trainer think of time - on the road they may think of both, but time at intensity is what training plans are built on.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
thank you for the reply! i guess you are right in regards to time, im assuming when most train they look at time and not miles?
I use miles simply to play mind games with myself because watching a clock is torture while clicking off miles seems a bit more bearable. I know about how long it will take me to do x miles so I'm essentially going for time just measuring miles to take my mind of the torture of watching time.
But miles is close to a useless measurement. Time isn't any better really. Both need to be looked at in conjunction with effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts