Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...boy howdy do I LOVE the way the 34c tubulars ride across the farm roads here in Salinas! Cccooommmfffyyy! I've got some Tufos that need replacing so I'm not real worried about tire wear.

Wooot!

Now all I gotta do is figger out if my Ritchey Pro wheels are gonna fit without a lot of fiddling so I can go race this bugger on the road next Tues.

I may just have to sell my S-Works road bike!

M
riding his Gunnar Crosshairs everywhere!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just noticed the other day my road bike has a crack by the water bottle insert. SO I spent yesterday converting my Poprad into my new road bike. The only mods I did was to put my Speedplay Zero's on and I had to move my Spooky's in a bit. Don't need to have the mud clearance for road. The 48/38 is also nice.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Me, too.

I recently sold-off my 2 road bikes and recently bought an Empella Bonfire as my do-it-all bike (I've also got a SS MTB and a FS-XC geared MTB). I love the Empella and where it takes me! I love being able to hop from dirt to gravel to pavement without flinching.

Just last weekend, I was up at my inlaw's cottage for the Easter long weekend and brought-up my CX since the MTB trails are still too wet to ride (the MTB trails are amazing, but so is the road riding).

Day 1 was ~100km with nearly 100% road. Day 2 was ~75km with 65/25/10 road/gravel/dirt. Day 3 was the best with 50kms on 100% dirt/gravel on cottage access roads. Lots of steep climbs/descents with some pretty wicked hairpins, creek crossings, rocks, etc.

The versatility of the CX is amazing!

M.

G

·
I have, as the name would imply, too many bikes. Most of them are museum pieces however, restorations of one sort or another that I can't bear to part with.

Even having all those bikes the one I ride the most is my CX bike, I take it with me when I travel, either by air or car and it is the one I ride all winter since I can put wide tires on it.

I put fenders on it when the weather is bad, etc.

I think mine gets as many miles as all of my other bikes put together. You can ride it anywhere in any conditions.

As one board regular said to me - it is the swiss army knife of bikes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like the Swiss Army comment. My cross bike ('01 Cdale) just got it's 3rd drivetrain this year. All of my road training miles are on this bike, I have raced it on the road occasionally since I bought it, religiously race cross on it and generally abuse it. 1700 miles on her since feb. 1(new drivetrain date) and around 15000 miles since I bought her. I just can't see the need for anything more than a cross bike (except my race hardtail).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts