Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Something else entirely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm cleaning out the fridge and I'm unearthing all this root veg from out winter farm share. Most of them are stored in those green veggie bags you can buy at the market (which work well, for the most part). Anyhoo, I'm noticing that this one bag of beets has some mold in it. The beets themselves seem to be firm, and some of them only have a few spots of mold, but some look like they've been wrapped in cotton candy or pulled-apart cotton ball.

I googled beet mold and got a bunch of recipes for beet salad to be placed into a mold. Then I thought, "Wait a minute..."

And here I am.

What's a guy to do?

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Moldy or not, beets are disgusting and belong in the trash.

·
that ain't chamois cream
645 Posts
mold, mould, whatever... beets kinda taste like dirt, mouldy or not. I say peel em and eat em, let us know tomorrow if you're not dead.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vonteity said:
Agreed, but Mrs. Slow loves her some beets and she's out teaching tonite, so I'm being the good hubby and undertaking the onerous task of produce triage. Normally, I'd pitch 'em and be done with it, but if I've trashed otherwise edible veg (beets especially) for no other reason than some harmless pesky mold, there'll be hell to pay.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
HTFU and cut off the mold. Cook it and taste it. If it taste anything less than amazing it's probably bad. Listen to your tongue and nose.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
vonteity said:
Beets belong in your belly, not the trash. The greens are amazing, too. Just don't forget to wash 'em off real well before enjoying their deliciousness.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I love beets(cold, not warm).....though would throw out any veggie that had mold on it, doesn't matter what it is.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.