Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not before, but about 2 years into project (1986) and thirty years later.

I was going through some pictures and found the 1986 print. We had 3 kids at the time, and were living in the house as we built it. We had just peeled the shingles off and were getting ready to go up with the 2nd and 3rd floor. What a summer, wettest on record to that point. Dr Jenny was 2 at the time, oldest was 6.

Been a long strange trip to get here. My oldest grand daughter is a year older than her mom was when we started this.

Attachments

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why you lived without a roof for a few months. :)
Chain, I'll pm you with the link to the photo's of the whole process as soon as they upload

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I've seen a few photos of this along the way but with only these two it's really remarkable.

I wouldn't have the patience or perseverance to do that in a million years. I'm lazy.

And you did it without losing any digits!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a few photos of this along the way but with only these two it's really remarkable.

I wouldn't have the patience or perseverance to do that in a million years. I'm lazy.

And you did it without losing any digits!!
trust me when I say, that doesn't mean there was no blood involved.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Wow.

You are a bold man, and I salute you.

Me and Mrs 10ae looked at building a place this spring, and decided against it for logistical and mental anguish reasons.

The ToG clan must be a pretty amazing and resilient bunch. It certainly looks like it was worth it in the end, but I bet there were some days.

You done good. My only question is where did the one PVC vent pipe end up that's on the front left of the '86 photo.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow.

You are a bold man, and I salute you.

Me and Mrs 10ae looked at building a place this spring, and decided against it for logistical and mental anguish reasons.

The ToG clan must be a pretty amazing and resilient bunch. It certainly looks like it was worth it in the end, but I bet there were some days.

You done good. My only question is where did the one PVC vent pipe end up that's on the front left of the '86 photo.
that is the soil stack, it is obscured by the dormer, it is deceiving because the second floor framing in cantilevered 4 feet over the first

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
January, 1984, wife was 5 months pregnant with Dr Jenny, who is, as a matter of fact, 6 1/2 months pregnant with her first!

Attachments

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Btw, THIS is why I have such a big collection of tools!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to be honest, I am just dumb labor, my wife is the brains behind the operations. I, quite literally, had no real idea what the house was going to look like until we got close to done. I do NOT work in 2 dimensions at all, only 3. She drew up the "blueprints" in a spiral notebook with a folded up piece of paper as a ruler

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
-wow-

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've had the pleasure of visiting Eric and Pattsie several times at their home. I can tell you, it's even more impressive in real life.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
to be honest, I am just dumb labor, my wife is the brains behind the operations. I, quite literally, had no real idea what the house was going to look like until we got close to done. I do NOT work in 2 dimensions at all, only 3. She drew up the "blueprints" in a spiral notebook with a folded up piece of paper as a ruler
Neat-o.

Do you still have the notebook? That sounds like a really cool thing to have.

We found the plans for the home we just bought, it was a cool easter egg.

Regarding the paper ruler, I have seen architects scale a drawing the same way a number of times, and scale is scale. Just don't lose the one reference ruler, I guess.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neat-o.

Do you still have the notebook? That sounds like a really cool thing to have.

We found the plans for the home we just bought, it was a cool easter egg.

Regarding the paper ruler, I have seen architects scale a drawing the same way a number of times, and scale is scale. Just don't lose the one reference ruler, I guess.
You know, I was thinking about that, and no, I doubt it, she has a way of putting stuff away, never to be seen again. Hell, I use dividers all the time, not much difference between the two.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I built my garage all by myself, I had help standing the gable end walls, putting the ridge beam in and setting the first pair of rafters (24 x32 my wife said it was too big, nonsense says I, no such thing!)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts