Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to purchase a FP Quattro, but after seeing and reading some posts, I am concerned about quality and warranty. What should I expect as far as quality of frame? Compared to Trek which has limited lifetime on frame.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Two year warranty on the frame plus one more year if you register it on the Pinarello website. Not a great warranty, but not awful.

You will love the Quattro. Great riding bike. Fast AND comfortable. Good luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So as far as the frame goes, I should not be concerned about failure.
Most failures are due to what engineer's commonly refer to as "infant mortality," that is, a fundamental manufacturing failure that shows itself relatively early once someone starts using the product. The chances of failure down the road continue to decrease until very late into the product's usable life, after which the chance of failure begins to climb rapidly. Three years of use should get you past infant mortality and into that sweet spot.

In truth, Pinarello's warranty is not as strong as other manufacturers like Trek and Specialized. If you're buying online, you might consider buying from Competitive Cyclist for their lifetime returns policy.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Never heard it called "infant mortality".
We call it a "bathtub curve", I think Charles Deming coined the term. Almost all failures at either end of the projected service life.
FWIW I got a Dogma after riding several other frames. It feels far more solid than some of the superlight frames.
If you look hard on the internet you will see broken frames from every company, in every material.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Never heard it called "infant mortality".
We call it a "bathtub curve", I think Charles Deming coined the term. Almost all failures at either end of the projected service life.
FWIW I got a Dogma after riding several other frames. It feels far more solid than some of the superlight frames.
If you look hard on the internet you will see broken frames from every company, in every material.
Here ya go: Bathtub curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Look at the curve in the article.

We're both right. And I agree with the rest as well.

In the old days, before the advent of fiber optics and solid state electronics, Bell Labs would run vacuum tubes for 25 years before installing them in transoceanic amplifiers. How's that for weeding out the weak ones?! Cheers!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase a FP Quattro, but after seeing and reading some posts, I am concerned about quality and warranty. What should I expect as far as quality of frame? Compared to Trek which has limited lifetime on frame.
Wouldn't worry in the least. They offer a decent warranty when you register right away...

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Also if you buy with some credit cards you will get an extra year of warranty.
Pinarello base warranty, to years, extra year for registering on Pinarello website plus extra year for using Visa, total four year warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.