Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...you should ask her if she has actually done it before and not just assume that with her being a girl and all that she has done, after all assumptions is the mother of all *beep* ups!

One tub of wax and 20 sheets later I now have one lower leg waxed and only part of the other lower leg as we found out the hard way that one kit ain't enough to do two whole legs, that stuff is messy as all heck as well so I think I will let the pro's do the rest as I am sure they know how not to make a sticky mess.

Now I have to go and make an appointment at a freakin day spa, I should book in for some massage and stuff to make it worthwhile as well. :D

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
jtolleson said:
You are braver than most, Jaseone. Enjoy the massage. You'll need it.
He's not brave, he's dumb. Even if she's done it a thousand times, there's no way that's going to feel good. :idea:

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
jaseone said:
Actually it doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as I thought it would, it is akin to ripping off a bandaid and yeah that hurts but it is a quick pain and frankly is less pain then having to bend over for so long to shave your legs is.
yeah but how long does it last and how much does it cost. If it lasted a week I'd do it, cuz I'm currently shaving every 3 days :mad: . Currently love nair. I used it and had a huge allergic reaction, but at the time i made it 1.5 days w/o shaving. now day 3 im stubbly, but can still pull off shorts. kinda.
-estone2

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supposed to last from 4 to 8 weeks, I'm not sure how long it will be in reality as this is my first time but I was surprised and annoyed how quickly hair grew back on your legs after shaving, let it slip for a while and your legs get back to normal, how dare they!

I have an appointment tomorrow to get the rest done so I'll time from there.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
I would be more concerned with ingrown hairs. If you pull them out by the roots, don't they get ingrown when they grow back? I get enough of those from shaving if I shave against the grain.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I leave mine for a week it is already close to being back to normal and I'll be stuffed if I'm shaving more than once a week, having it grow back so quick doesn't seem worth it and plus getting waxed is a hell of a lot easier than fart assing around with a razor, sure there is a tiny bit of pain but that isn't bad at all.

If it ends up lasting anywhere near as long as it is supposed to then I'll be a regular waxer.

As for ingrown hairs I've read differing opinions, I think as long as you stick to the loofah and moisturizer tips from the shaving thread you should be fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FatTireFred said:
doesn't sound like it to me, but hey, to each his/her own
Well I meant paying someone else to take care of it and just laying there while they do it is easier than standing in the bath tub and being a contortionist so you can shave all parts of your legs. But to each their own!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Tequila

My ex- girlfreaind used to wax my back. We never started doing till we had consumed about a half a bottle of it. We polished off the other half while we were doing it. As I recall it did not hurt to much but I had a hell of a hangover the next morning!

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
venus said:
You guys are such whiners. Must you have no stubble to ride your bike? If so, why?
I don't like it because as a 15 y/o guy it's weird to shave your legs. As such, the girls find it fascinating. As it's 90+ out as of late, and because we run fitness on an indoor track where it's regularly 105, before going into an even hotter locker room, I wore shorts at school. Thus, girls looking at my legs constantly, and go figure since I'm a biker my legs are more muscular than even the runners (well, theirs are bigger but mine are more defined... and mine are relatively big, as I'm an ex-half marathoner). If I have any stubble whatsoever they will find it before 1st hour is up, and I'll hear about it for the rest of the day. And then also it's spiky... and ugly. I like how my legs look shaved :D . Stubble negates that.
Although since yesterday was the last day of school, I think I might have a bit more freedom now.
-estone2

·
Registered
63 Posts
Take 200-600mg Advil (or any anti-inflammatory for that matter) about an hour before waxing (with food, but you all know that by now).
As with most things, the first time is the worst. Each time thereafter the waxing becomes less painful (but never fully painless, mind you) as your roots get more and more damaged from the, um, ripping.
Anyone telling you it lasts 8 weeks is lying. Figure 3-6 weeks, depending on the person.
Ingrown hairs can be a ***** but ward them off by scrubbing (starting a week or so after the waxing) with a loofah in the showshow.
C'mon, if us ladies can stomach the pain of waxing way more sensitive places than our legs, you guys can suck it up!

·
Registered
777 Posts
If anyone hasn't seen it, then I would recommend watching the 40 Year Old Virgin.

Fast forward to the part where Steve Carrell gets his chest waxed, for real.

Then one will realize that waxing any area of the body with large amounts of hair is the worst idea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this (because it's so basic yet it dawned on me after the Steve Carrell mention that many of you guys wouldn't think to do it...) -- certainly TRIM you hair before waxing! Most wax can grab hair that's 1/8" long. It certainly cuts down on the pain. I know the guys on men's team here use clippers before actually shaving or waxing.
Also, applying pressure (with your hand) right after ripping helps. Always sprinkle with baby powder afterwards.
Yours truly,
A lady who knows

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.