Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my dad and i are looking for new road bikes. Im pretty new to riding roadies (i am an avid mountain biker though) and my dad use to be an amature racer but we havent had any great places to ride on road so he got into mountain biking. Well where moving to a place with beautifull rolling roads and farms all around.and are looking into road bikes. mine is prolly going to be in the 1250-1000 usd range and his prolly under 1800 usd. what would u recomend. the brands sold near us are
giant
specalized
trek
jamis
bianchi
and oreba

I was thinking either a tcr 2 or a specalized tarmac elite double for me and a giant tcr composite3 or a trek 2100 for my dad.The roads we ride in some places resemble parts of the paris rubox race and in other places resemble a f1 race track (perfect and smooth) and are rolling to very hilly. lots of straight lines near the house and lots of switchbacks at the local mountain. Any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd honestly just go ride a few and chose the one you like best. If the LBS has a person that is good at doing bike fits that would be even better so you get a frame and components that actually fit you.
Unless you plan on doing all the work yourself, I'd almost shop for a good LBS at the same time as a bike. If its a crappy LBS, no use buying bike there in my opinion if your going to taking it back for service etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Srry to bring this thread up from the grave but ive been grounded for a week so i havent had the computer. I already know 3 great lbs's near by. one with good prices and a great crew, one with great prices and an ok crew , and one good prices and an ok crew. i will be doing alot of the wrenching on my bike. so which bikes do u think will suit our needs based on value . we will go and sit on them and give them a good test ride b4 we buy them but i want to know if one bike or brand is significantly better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
theg1ant said:
we will go and sit on them and give them a good test ride b4 we buy them but i want to know if one bike or brand is significantly better.
Probably not. Getting into which is better is like arguing about cars. Ford? Chevy? Chrysler? It's all a matter of opinion, with very little in the way of facts to back it up. Go ride'em, look'em over carefully, especially the component packages, of which the wheels are the most important. Buy the one you like the best. And, (this is very important), be sure to pick one that appeals to you "looks wise." This may seem frivolous, but among bikes of the same general quality level, it's not. If you buy an absolutely dynamite bike, but you can't stand the color, or don't like the overall looks of it, no matter how good it is, you'll probably never like it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In this competitive price range in the market for bicycles, there is no clear winner in being best, in fact, as Mr Versatile has said, the differences are few. Since proper fit is so important test rides are necessary. Elements of fit include proper sizing and also the correct geometry for the intended rider. A simple example is in the modern market, many bikes are modeled after racing bikes with a racing bike geometry, when most recreational riders would be more comfortable on a more stable geometry because they don't need the twitchy-fast reflexes of a rider in a peloton. Another example in proper fit is taking into account the physical strength and flexibility of the rider. A mid-age casual rider does not need nor can ride comfortably a bike that a racer would ride. A more upright stance better-fits a recreational rider over the tightly tucked stanced of a racing machine.

Sound to me that you have made a good evaluation of the bike shops around you, so pick the one you like the most, buy your bikes there and support your bike shop. Make a good two-way relationship between shop and rider and over time it really pays off. This is just my opinion, yours may be different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
also...

...don't be surprised if Dad's bike and your bike are NOTHING alike. I'm 35 and my new "compact" frame's top tube points at the sky. Effectively it gives me a much less aero position and my bike is a bit more upright. Ugly? Yeah, kind of. Comfortable? You betcha'. Your bike may be more "racer-ish" looking compared to Dad's. My son's bike albeit much smaller than my 58cm, looks more like something I'd see under a racer. His bars are about 7 inches under his saddle too. Mine are...well...they aren't. LOL. What I'm getting to is it really is all about fit. Test ride them all. make adjustments and test ride again. I spent 2 days in the shop buying mine. They were patient, helpful, and understanding. If they are a decent shop they'll understand the need to feel comfortable on a machine you will likely spend countless hours on. By the way for what it's worth if your going Shimano try to get nothing less than 105. I have never ridden above it but I have ridden below the 105 level. It is night and day. I can only imagine what Dura-Ace is like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.