Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get into road biking and know nothing to very little about road bikes in general (I am a mountain biker) so I have been looking all over craigslist for bikes. Can anyone tell me what are good beginner bikes as well as good places to find them. Also, listed below is a link to a cyclecross bike I have found. I have 2 questions on it. 1. is this good for a beginner, and 2. is this a good price for this bike?

http://boone.craigslist.org/bik/1924133008.html

Thank you all for your help

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That's a nice bike, go and check it out. Try and get him to take a hundred or so off the price.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's a nice bike and probably a good value.

Comparing mountain to road biking, with a road bike the fit of the bike frame and seat/pedal/handlebar settings are more critical. On the road bike your comfort and efficiency are paramount, so be very careful that if you buy a used bike it's really the right fit. Otherwise your "bargain" premium bike will be less comfortable and slower than a less fancy but well fitting bike.

At least do yourself the favor of visiting a couple of bike shops for a quick fitting and test rides of low end bikes. There are some solid deals out there now closing out 2010 gear. Visit more than one shop and test more than one brand. Give the shops a fair shake at your business and if you decide to buy used you can at least get your fitting close. That said, the bike shop will perform a detailed fitting after you've committed to buy and you won't get that from a used craigslist bike unless you pay a shop to do it.

Dave

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Good advice from dgeesaman, just be upfront with the LBS's about your intentions.

As you can see from the CL ad, most sellers don't really know what they're selling, and take a 'casual' approach to fit:
"size probably around 50 to 53 cm would fit someone 5,0 to 5'6..."

Wouldv'e been nice if the seller took the initiative to measure their bike.

If you go the used bike route, IMO there are several advantages to seeking out LBS's that carry good, used bikes. You'll get some of the services the shops provide (sizing/ fit assistance), and likely post purchase support. If, OTOH you opt to buy fromn a private seller, I strongly suggest bringing someone along that knows bikes (mechanically and ideally, fit). There are recent posts here that outline what to look for (and look out for) when checking over used bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I am going to get a friend of mine (who knows about bikes and is my same size to look at it since I am not located near it) But I really appreciate all the feedback. I am def. going to check out some LBS to check on the availability of used bikes and deals as well my correct sizing. So again thank you all for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts