Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I know this belongs in the beginner corner forum but here goes.
I live in Ottawa and like the title says, I haven't ridden in 12 years almost and hence I have little/no expertise when it comes to buying a bike. I've done a lot of research over the last two weeks and went to a whole bunch of local shops like:
- Phat moose
- Tall Trees Cycle
- Bushtukah
- Fresh Air Experience
- Full Cycle
I've tried out numerous bikes from all the stores, (all hybrids within the $400- $600 range), and I know most "bikers" tell me it's how I feel riding the bike that matters the most but to be honest, they all feel the same to me! I am that ignorant that I can't tell what I should be looking for while riding.
I need the bike for training and fitness purposes (probably an hour to an hour and a half a day), and am going on bike paths, roads and a few hills, but I'm not planning on doing any heavy commuting whatsoever!
My budget is from 400 - 700 (hopefully it wont get that high), but now I'm as clueless as I was when I started because I can't tell them apart, I've been doing nothing for the past two weeks but bike shopping, it's exhausting, please help me!!!

Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
At that price you should get similar components from any brand so you likely wouldn't notice any difference in the bikes themselves. What I would recommend is finding a LBS (local bike shop) that would spend the time to give you a decent bike fitting. They should spend at least a 1/2 hour (hopefully longer) with you on the bike you want to buy on a trainer. Proper fit is more important than what brand you want at that price IMHO. If the bike doesn't fit, you won't want to ride and then it will sit in the garage. See if they will also offer a free adjustment after 30 days as well. At least one tune-up should also be included at the end of the season.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm in Ottawa and have dealt with all the shops on your list, apart from Full Cycle and would list my order of preference in the way you have laid it out. I'd ask if one of the stores would offer a "trade up" deal that would let you get a better bike further down the road if you find yourself riding more. All these shops are extremely busy, so turn over time for repairs may be a factor. Likewise, a known brand like Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. is easier to sell used on the lower end.

As norm said, the bikes will all be pretty similar, so I'd take other things into account. How do you find yourself treated in the shop? Which is closest to you? That sort of thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
IMHO, you should checkout the Katmandu and the Wolverine at Norco.

Do you currently have access to any bicycle or bicycle frame that fits you?

What happened the your bike that you owned 12 years ago?

·
Bus wrestling roadie.
55 Posts
If all your test rides at this point feel similar, congrats, you're in the right ballpark.
Now, you need to decide which shop makes you feel most comfortable to deal with.
For sure, plan on a "fit" session, tune ups, maybe a period of discounts on upgrade parts, tires, lights, fenders etc. that you'll undoubtedly find yourself wanting.
Don't discount the value of shop sponsored group rides, which will give you incentive to get out and ride in different conditions, on different routes, and with diverse ability riders. This challenges you, and you may find yourself becoming a mentor for another newbie who could use a hand.
As for "which bike" to pick, if they all ride and are equipped pretty much the same, pick the cheapest one with the best wheels that gives you the biggest grin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome feedback everyone!!! thank you soo much, I'm starting to narrow down the list according to the factors you guys mentioned like discounts, distance, feel and what not, thanks again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.