Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week with my first road bike, I want to try some clipless pedals. I was planning on getting something like this:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_506076_-1_201561_10000_200435

My question is, how much does the shoe matter? Can you get away with $50 or $70 shoes or should I spend at least $120 for some quality? Also, if I buy the pedals and the shoes, do I need to buy anything else?

Thanks in advance!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
OrangeCuse said:
After a week with my first road bike, I want to try some clipless pedals. I was planning on getting something like this:

My question is, how much does the shoe matter? Can you get away with $50 or $70 shoes or should I spend at least $120 for some quality? Also, if I buy the pedals and the shoes, do I need to buy anything else?

Thanks in advance!
IMO/E that's a very good pedal from a price/ performance standpoint.

Shoes need to be comfortable and are an integral part of fit, so they matter. As with most any product, there's a pricepoint where you get decent quality/ features for a moderate price. Shoes are like saddles (highly personal) but for example, I have Specialized Elites ($115 in '08) and they have the features I wanted without breaking the bank.

Best bet is to bring cycling socks on your visit to your LBS, tell them the pedal system you've chosen and try some compatible shoes on. Snug is good, tight or loose is not.

The pedals come with cleats (w/ float) so all you'll need to get (besides the shoes) are cycling socks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same pedals on my old mt bike good pedals havent had any problems with them. Just a little word of advice tho if u have a old bike put them on it and practice ridding and un-clipping from the pedals (cause u will fall a couple times :yikes: like when u stop and forget to unclip by accident.) Just to save ur new bike from getting scratches until u get used to clipless pedals. :thumbsup:

·
Less Clyde-ey Every Day
151 Posts
OrangeCuse said:

Those pedals are good, but those pedals... From that vendor... after shipping are almost $60, more if you have to add tax.

For $5 more you can get the next step up the Shimano ladder (the 105) from PBK, after code and free shipping. Or get the 540's from them for about $42.

Personally, I think it's $$$ well spent to get the 105's, and if you're really hot on the black color, the 105's are available in black (but I prefer the silver). In fact I just looked and at the moment they ONLY have black.

·
Vintage cyclist
1,005 Posts
drdiaboloco said:
...and if you're really hot on the black color, the 105's are available in black (but I prefer the silver). In fact I just looked and at the moment they ONLY have black.
Call me a Fred, but I like black pedals ONLY if the crank is black.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i'm have the LOOK Keo 2 Max pedals ($122) and Shimano R132 shoe ($108) I think this is a very good setup as long as you're not expecting top level performance.

The pedals are reasonably light and the shoe has a stiff carbon (composite? i dont know dont care) sole that i can't bend if i tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.