Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a cheaper Sugino 172.5 crankset (can’t find the model name) on my Specialized Allez. I’ve been meaning to upgrade but am unwilling to do so until I understand the different qualities in cranksets on the market. I cannot seem to understand the sizing of this part of the bike. I’ve read that smaller crankset sizes are better suited for climbing, while larger cranksets are better for flat hills. How would I determine the best crankset?
Thanks alot.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Crank length?

holypickles said:
I currently have a cheaper Sugino 172.5 crankset (can’t find the model name) on my Specialized Allez. I’ve been meaning to upgrade but am unwilling to do so until I understand the different qualities in cranksets on the market. I cannot seem to understand the sizing of this part of the bike. I’ve read that smaller crankset sizes are better suited for climbing, while larger cranksets are better for flat hills. How would I determine the best crankset?
It's not clear, but it SEEMS like you're asking about crank length. The short answer is that there is no formula to determine the "correct" crank length. Crank length is personal preference, and based on a lot of research studies, even that preference may be just placebo effect.

BTW, what are "flat hills"?

BTW2, changing your cranks will likely have no significant impact on the ride of your bike or your personal performance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Haha. Typo... I hit a few big hills today so I guess they're still in my mind. Thanks for your comment, I don't want to spend money where it isn't needed.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Longer cranks can be better for climbing. You are thinking of "compact" cranks. "Compact" doesn't refer to the crank length, it refers to the size of chainring that can be attached... compacts take smaller chainrings. Smaller chainrings means lower gearing which means easier (but slower) climbing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts