Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get into road biking, and would really like to buy an American made bike. I have an old Cannondale mountain bike that I've loved, and bought back then because it was American made (vs the Trek ones in the same price range).

So, what bikes are American made, that'd be considered entry level type bikes? I know the Cannondale aluminum's seem to be, but what about the LeMond bikes? The LeMond website says 'some' bikes are made locally. Any other brands? As cool as bikes from Seven look, they are a bit of a stretch for me now :).

Thanks

·
Banned
476 Posts
None

Hornblower said:
I'm looking to get into road biking, and would really like to buy an American made bike. I have an old Cannondale mountain bike that I've loved, and bought back then because it was American made (vs the Trek ones in the same price range).

So, what bikes are American made, that'd be considered entry level type bikes? I know the Cannondale aluminum's seem to be, but what about the LeMond bikes? The LeMond website says 'some' bikes are made locally. Any other brands? As cool as bikes from Seven look, they are a bit of a stretch for me now :).

Thanks

there are no beginner bikes made in the USA [and in fact if your define made in USA as over 50% of content there are no bikes made in the USA]

best you can do is avoid red china and get a bike from taiwan [who is atleast an friendly country that does not oppose us in Iran and the Sudan]

lots of great deals on entry road bikes on Ebay - just ask the sellers if their bikes are from China or Taiwan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are no beginner bikes made in the USA [and in fact if your define made in USA as over 50% of content there are no bikes made in the USA]
So then what price range do good American bikes start it? I know the Cannondales were around $1200. Nothing else in that area or a little more/less? Pretty depressing if true.

Thanks.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,340 Posts
Hornblower said:
So then what price range do good American bikes start it? I know the Cannondales were around $1200. Nothing else in that area or a little more/less? Pretty depressing if true.
Most/all are custom bikes whose frame only is at least that much...most/all of the componentry on bikes are made either in Italy or Japan (campy v. shimano-haven't heard where Sram is being made)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Lots of choices

A lot of the manufacturing is being contracted to companies in Asia these days, but there still are quite a few companies making frames in the US. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Cannondale, I believe, still makes all their aluminum frames in the US. Trek (including LeMond) makes most of theirs here, but some of their lower-end frames are out-sourced. There are several high-end builders such as Serrota, Independent Fabrications, Waterford, Seven, Moots, Litespeed, etc. that build frames in the US, but they are expensive. There also are a lot of small, custom frame builders, mostly building steel frames, and some are not terribly expensive. Gunnar (gunnarbikes.com) gets great reviews for quality and value of their steel frames, built in Wisconsin by Waterford. I think the frames are about $750- 800 which isn't cheap but a lot less than some of the others mentioned here.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
collectorvelo said:

best you can do is avoid red china and get a bike from taiwan [who is atleast an friendly country that does not oppose us in Iran and the Sudan]
Who is this great "us" that you refer to? Is it some bastion of justice? Is it the Justice League? Is it some loose coalitin of superheros?

Please, Master, inform us. Teach us. Show us your ways, for truly you must be the insightful one. You must be the Golden Child. You must be the one of whom the prophets spoke, the one with clarion vision......

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Hornblower said:

Thanks
You can get a hand-built Curtlo Custom frame for as little as $720. Of course, you can spend more with Curtlo for extra goodies, fancier tubes and a custom fork. From what I've heard, the workmanship is excellent. He can also get you a screamin' deal on a build kit. He advertises prices on Shimano 105 gruppos and better.

So, if you go this route, you can get a custom frame and a nice gruppo for less than $2K. Not really "Entry Level" pricing, but a heckuva deal considering what you get for the price.

http://www.curtlo.com

Yours,

FBB

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
collectorvelo said:

lots of great deals on entry road bikes on Ebay - just ask the sellers if their bikes are from China or Taiwan
... sense of feeling creeped out rising ...

·
Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
If you want to support the US, you're going to have to pay US origin prices, it's fairly simple. Either do it or buy by price point....
FWIW look at TST for a US-made ti frame, $1150 direct from them.

·
Banned
476 Posts
no need to explain the obvious

alienator said:
Who is this great "us" that you refer to? Is it some bastion of justice? Is it the Justice League? Is it some loose coalitin of superheros?

Please, Master, inform us. Teach us. Show us your ways, for truly you must be the insightful one. You must be the Golden Child. You must be the one of whom the prophets spoke, the one with clarion vision......

If you agree with the position China takes in the issues with Iran and the Sudan; how can anyone explain anything to you. You just have a different value system

The OP would like a road bike made in the USA
There are NONE - zero [look at the difinition of made in the usa}

So you get to pick from China or Taiwan or Italy
and he wants low price -- Let's assume he means $300 to $500
if that is the case - he can pick only from Taiwan or China

I assume if he prefer USA over all others for policatal reasons
he would prefer Taiwan over China

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
collectorvelo said:
If you agree with the position China takes in the issues with Iran and the Sudan; how can anyone explain anything to you. You just have a different value system
Again, what you think you know about China could fill an entire Bazooka Joe comic. Just because your loud doesn't mean your knowledgeable. Nor does a trip or two to China make you any expert. More likely, you've just got an overdeveloped sense of self-importance. And anyone that can boil the Iran issue down to black and white terms like you and your president have is incapable of looking at anything objectively or rationally.[/QUOTE]

collectorvelo said:
The OP would like a road bike made in the USA
There are NONE - zero [look at the difinition of made in the usa}
Did the OP say the entire bike had to be made in the US? No. You did. He can get a bike in the US for his price. Sorry. You made up a definition based on what he didn't say, Sunshine.

collectorvelo said:
I assume if he prefer USA over all others for policatal reasons
he would prefer Taiwan over China
Nice assumption. Well, you know what they say about assumptions,.........and you pretty much are living proof of that.

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
krill4 said:
If I were a beginner I would prefer a modern and efficient Toyota rather than a GM :idea:

Agreed, put the politics aside and find whatever bike fits you well and is a good value. That means, yeah, it won't be made in the US of A....but oh well. Fuji has some nice bikes (they are at least based in new jersey, or used to be), as does Giant. Both give you alot for your dollar.....

If you listen to that collectorvelo guy, you'll be riding a used bike thats 8 sizes too big for you because politics is more important than being comfortable on a bike to him.

·
Banned
476 Posts
right and wrong

awesometown said:
Agreed, put the politics aside and find whatever bike fits you well and is a good value. That means, yeah, it won't be made in the US of A....but oh well. Fuji has some nice bikes (they are at least based in new jersey, or used to be), as does Giant. Both give you alot for your dollar.....

If you listen to that collectorvelo guy, you'll be riding a used bike thats 8 sizes too big for you because politics is more important than being comfortable on a bike to him.

you are right - Fuji and Giant make great bikes

you are wrong - I do not think there is any reason to buy a bike that does not fit
You can get Brand New Road bikes made in Taiwan in any size you need for under $400 -- thus you can be comfortable, save money, and buy a high grade bike that was made in a country that you agree with the values of

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
awesometown said:

Yup. I don't think anyone should listen to a guy, anyway, that can't seem to find the politics forum. Collectorvelo seems really confused about that. Somehow, when someone asks about a bike, he interprets that to mean, "Please tell me about your politics, too."

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
collectorvelo said:
So you get to pick from China or Taiwan or Italy
and he wants low price -- Let's assume he means $300 to $500
if that is the case - he can pick only from Taiwan or China
Canada may also be an option.

But it all depends on your definition of "beginner."

You can buy a Devinci alloy road frame that is built in Quebec for a relatively low price. Not dirt cheap, but quite affordable.

·
Banned
476 Posts
actually

alienator said:
And anyone that can boil the Iran issue down to black and white terms like you and your president have is incapable of looking at anything objectively or rationally.
two points - say he is my president, eventhough I never voted for him
and YES the Iran issue is that simple -- the world watches while a nut case develops the bomb -- or the world community stops it. this could easily be the biggest issue of our or any other time -- read up on what the presiedent of Iran has said and then decide if you want him to have the bomb as China seems to

"Did the OP say the entire bike had to be made in the US? No. You did. He can get a bike in the US for his price. Sorry. You made up a definition based on what he didn't say, Sunshine."

For a frame or a bike to be made in the USA - you would think that would include the tubing - that being the largest material cost in the frame. Which USA made frames include USA made tubing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.