Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5.6 bare footed. Will a 52inch Poprad be too big for me? Will mainly be using it for road commuting work (ie not racing it) but do want to take it off road for some trails etc

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It's not that simple, fit is based on the length of your arms, legs and torso. I'd suggest getting a bike through a competent local dealer than can help you with the fit. Be aware that many people will buy a cross bike a bit smaller than optimal road size, which you may or may not want to do depending on your needs. I'd start with a set of dimensions for a road bike setup and make any changes to that standard.

You don't need to have some sort of fancy fitting system, just someone who can look at you on the bike and figure out what length top tube, frame size and stem is needed. Saving money on a mis-fit bike is a classic mistake to avoid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
early said:
I'm 5.6 bare footed. Will a 52inch Poprad be too big for me? Will mainly be using it for road commuting work (ie not racing it) but do want to take it off road for some trails etc

Thanks for any advice
I typically ride a 52-53cm roadbike and ended getting the 49cm Poprad. The 52cm was a bit too big....I am just a hair under 5'8" tall.....I would make sure you try both the 49 & 52 cm poprads but I am guessing the 49cm would be a better fit for you. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the 52 will be too big then.

I'm in UK. The new 06 Poprad is only available in the disc version at £1,200. A shop 3 hours from me has a 05 Poprad for £750 but in 52 only. I spoke to them and they said that 5.6" was between a 52 and 54 frame. Hmmm well they are a chain store...

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think asking people on the internet how tall they are is a poor way to guide a major purchase like this--maybe try taking some measurements and plus them into this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

and see what you get. You need to know the top tube lengeth of the bike you are considering, get that off the company web page for each bike under consideration. You then decide on stem rise, stem length and seatpost setback, and make adjustments as you go along from there.

If the nearest bike shop is 3 hours away, maybe you'd be better off working with a shop in a major city via telephone that can help you with fit having you take the measurments indicated in the site above and working out a good fit, then ship you the bike.

Using the method you are using now, the bike might fit you, but that will be just dumb luck. Riding a bike that is the wrong size is just plain uncomfortable and needless. Get you top tube length figured out first and start from there, don't be in a rush, this time of year is a buyers market for cross bikes. I rode a too small bike for a year when I was starting out and I never knew whey I had this sharp pain in my neck and shoulders after a long ride--new, longer bike--pain gone, go figure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts