Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i have decided to start road riding (mountain biking just doesn't do it for me) and am getting my bike tomorrow. i'm planning to go and try it out straight off as well. i'll just be taking it round a short 10km round trip on the flat, just to try and get used to the bike -- i've never really ridden a racing bike before.

a few quick questions:
- what's the quickest and easiest way to get used to your feet being attached to the pedals?
- why no underwear? [i'm just going to believe you all on this, but i haven't found a reason for it anywhere yet...]
- anything else i should take into consideration apart from the stuff mentioned in the tips thread?

regards,
sb

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
Before I actually rode with my clipless pedals I practiced getting in and out in a door-frame. Once you have the general idea the best way to learn is to just get out there and try it. I used to wear underwear based on the philosophy of more padding, but it just gets bunched up and itchy. and stupid looking. I'm not sure if your bike will be built up for you, but it'll need to have everything sort of calibrated (brakes, shifting, derailer limit screws, etc). Hopefully this will be done by either the bike shop, or a friend who knows his stuff. Good luck and enjoy the new bike.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
As for clipless pedals, just set 'em loose and start riding. You can even coast and click out-in-out-in for practice. It will be an easy adjustment, we promise.

No underwear... but of course. Who wants 1) moisture-retaining cotton up against the skin when you've paid good money for the wicking, cooling function of lycra 2) seams in all the wrong places? You'll be glad you did (or didn't... as the case may be).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TylerDurden said:
Before I actually rode with my clipless pedals I practiced getting in and out in a door-frame. Once you have the general idea the best way to learn is to just get out there and try it. I used to wear underwear based on the philosophy of more padding, but it just gets bunched up and itchy. and stupid looking. I'm not sure if your bike will be built up for you, but it'll need to have everything sort of calibrated (brakes, shifting, derailer limit screws, etc). Hopefully this will be done by either the bike shop, or a friend who knows his stuff. Good luck and enjoy the new bike.
thanks for the tips. :) the bike is being built up in the shop, and i'm picking it up tomorrow. looking forward to it...

thx,
sb

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
binabik said:
thanks for the tips. :) the bike is being built up in the shop, and i'm picking it up tomorrow. looking forward to it...

thx,
sb
RE: clipless... you WILL fall. We all have.

Finally, just have fun. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Can U say "chafing?" That's why you don't wear underwear. Like jtolleson said, why have icky sticky wet cotton bunching up against yer nethergions creating all kinds of ouch? As for the pedals, Ken's right. You will fall. But you should be going slow at the time so you'll only bruise your ego:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
As for the clipless pedals, I have been using them for about 2 months now and haven't fallen a single time. Really don't know what the big deal is...just don't forget about being locked in as you come to a stop. Not that hard. Be confident and nothing will go wrong. If you sit there thinking you'll fall any second, you will. I practiced getting in and out maybe twice while leaning against the garage wall, and that was it. CONFIDENCE will get you a long way.

As for your other questions, the above posters answered them well. Being a noob myself (riding since Christmas), over the past few months I've learned that what the people say here is right 99 times out of 100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.