Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I'm a beginning cyclist and right now i've been using a friends Trek 1000 all stock accessories. I've been looking at the Mercier Aero TT. Every review I can find of anyone that owns one really likes it. I can't find anyone with something bad to say about it. Well except that the Aero Bars are kinda lame but I can live with that. Every LBS around here tells me not to buy a Mercier because the company got bought out and now everything is made in Tawaiin. I researched that on Wikipedia and according to them that is correct. The official website of Mercier sells the bike for $1400 but found it on an online bike store for $700 with free shipping... any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Do you really want a TT bike? If your goal is to race a TTor tri, then OK. Otherwise it's not the best bike for general road riding. High gears, a more bent over position and twitchey handling.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
It's a Triathlon bike

jamesk2 said:
Hey Everyone, I'm a beginning cyclist and right now i've been using a friends Trek 1000 all stock accessories. I've been looking at the Mercier Aero TT. Every review I can find of anyone that owns one really likes it. I can't find anyone with something bad to say about it. Well except that the Aero Bars are kinda lame but I can live with that. Every LBS around here tells me not to buy a Mercier because the company got bought out and now everything is made in Tawaiin. I researched that on Wikipedia and according to them that is correct. The official website of Mercier sells the bike for $1400 but found it on an online bike store for $700 with free shipping... any advice would be greatly appreciated
It's a tri bike, designed for time trials. Are you a triathlete? If not, look a road bikes. The sky is the limit. Do some research, visit some bikes shops and have a limit for price.

Most of the time a first time road bike buyer will buy something that doesn't not fit them and they end up going with something else down the road. Been there-done that. Be a smart buyer. I would try to find an LBS who will work with you on fit and not try to push you out the door with a bike right off the bat.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Second these opinions, and also note that there's nothing inherently wrong with bikes made in Taiwan, or China. In the price range where you're looking, many of the best deals will have those origins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well $800 is my price range. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research on the conditions of a triathalon besides the basics of course (running, swimming, biking) I just live in a really hilly area so I want something with a lot of torque. I'll be using it all on paved roads around Nashville somewhere between 10 - 30 miles a day. So I guess I'm looking for more of a road bike instead of a tri..... anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Get thee to the LBS

and test-ride everything they have in that price range (there won't be all that many, really). Buy the one that fits and feels best. Brands don't matter nearly as much as fit.

The torque comes from your legs. The bike just privides gear ratios that let you make use of it. If you're a beginner in a hilly area, a triple crank is probably a good idea. Many bikes in that price range come with them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wait isn't everything (minus Cannnondale) more or less made in Taiwan, Malaysia, ect?

As for bike recommendations I would say go for a major manufacturer entry level bike. Personally I like the Specialized Allez for an entry level bike. Otherwise the only real runners for me are the Giant OCR 3 and the trek 1000.

·
Registered
345 Posts
slap some 105 shifters on the trek you have.... get some miles in and save up for more bike! For what you are doing that would be fine.... in fact my buddy races tri with a settup much like that, and does pretty well on the bike leg

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
If I had the money, I'd get the best wheels I could on a bike, with 105 shifters for the price. Check Sun and Ski to see if they have any good deals. My bike is made by Kent, which has a good frame, but mostly basic components. I wish I spent a few dollars more to get better wheels...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I'm looking at the Strada Novara, it's 1100 at REI, seems to be a pretty decent bike. I prefer it over the Trek 1000. I'm just debating on it or a Cannondale. I know it's all about the person and how it feels to me, but maybe someone else has gone through something similar and has a some suggestions

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I don't know those particular bikes, but REI's bikes have generally a good reputation, and the stores have a decent reputation for service. But again, how it feels to you is what matters most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.