Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on buying as new groupset that is suitable for training hills and long distances on my roadbike. I brought my RB about 8 months ago mainly for commuting but recently have begun training for a race and want to upgrade the wearing Shimano (Sora) groupset with a new more durable one.

I need to get the most durable groupset that my budget will allow (roughly £400) without having to buy replacement components in 6 months as a result of wear and tear. I’ve been looking at Campagnolo/ SRAM as they seem to be very well priced but am open to suggestions of others if there are better value groupsets out there? (Although I say groupset, all I actually require is a the Crank (compact)/ Front& Rear Derailure/ Cassette/ Chain (possibly) but am open to getting an entire groupset if it makes more sense economically.)

I’ll be training about 50 miles per week with a focus on going up long inclining hills of about 8% average gradient so want something that’s going to last a few years. I’m looking at the Crank and Cassette ratio of 50 34 and 11 28 respectively, would you say that is suitable?

Any help advice that I can gain from you ladies and gents would be a massive help as I’m relatively new to this sport and am hungry to learn as much as possible.

Many Thanks!!!

·
Noob
107 Posts
It's not likely that your current components are worn out after only 8 months of use. Did you buy the bike used?

Unless you bought the bike second/third hand you can probably benefit from a regular tune up. This should help shifting and a clean drive train will be quieter and more efficient. Your LBS can tell you if anything is actually worn (chain or cassette)

When changing partial components remember to stay consistent with the rest of your group set. If you have 8 speed sora stick to an 8 speed chain and cassette.

If money is tight Find a deal online for the cassette and crankset you want. Your lbs can install as part of the tune up. This will be cheaper and more effective than buying all the tools and home wrenching.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Your Sora group should not be wearing out after 8 months, especially with so little riding (50 miles/week). You might need a new chain and adjustment of the DRs, but that's about it. Any brand-name group will last for tens of thousands of miles of riding with normal maintenance and replacement of chain, cables/housing, and cassette when appropriate due to wear.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
It's not likely that your current components are worn out after only 8 months of use.
Your Sora group should not be wearing out after 8 months, especially with so little riding (50 miles/week.
Agreed. I have a 13-year-old Sora group that has just outlasted the frame it was on. Bought a new frame, moved the Sora. Common wear parts have been replaced--chain and cassette--but that's all.

Now, if you want a new groupset because that's what the cool kids have, that's a different story. But if it's because someone said Sora isn't durable, well, they're lying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not likely that your current components are worn out after only 8 months of use. Did you buy the bike used?

Unless you bought the bike second/third hand you can probably benefit from a regular tune up. This should help shifting and a clean drive train will be quieter and more efficient. Your LBS can tell you if anything is actually worn (chain or cassette)

When changing partial components remember to stay consistent with the rest of your group set. If you have 8 speed sora stick to an 8 speed chain and cassette.

If money is tight Find a deal online for the cassette and crankset you want. Your lbs can install as part of the tune up. This will be cheaper and more effective than buying all the tools and home wrenching.
Thank you very much for the reply. I should elaborate slightly, my current groupset is not worn out, it's wearing due to the potholes in London and the particularly crappy weather we've had. I want change the Crank/ Cassette gear ratio to a 50 34 and 11 28 respectively and strip the Sora crank and Cassette off and put it on another bike. In doing all this upgrade the front and rear derailures in the process.
Apologies if my wording is a little unclear I'm still in the learning phases and terminology.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. I have a 13-year-old Sora group that has just outlasted the frame it was on. Bought a new frame, moved the Sora. Common wear parts have been replaced--chain and cassette--but that's all.

Now, if you want a new groupset because that's what the cool kids have, that's a different story. But if it's because someone said Sora isn't durable, well, they're lying.
Bruce, no I'm not saying that Sora isn't durable I simply want a different gear ratio for more hill orientated training (Crank and Cassette ratio of 50 34 and 11 28 respectively) I'm keeping the components and adding them to another bike but in the process of upgrading the Crank and Cassette I thought I'd see what options I have for new Front and Rear De-railures.

Cheers

·
Noob
107 Posts
Bruce, no I'm not saying that Sora isn't durable I simply want a different gear ratio for more hill orientated training (Crank and Cassette ratio of 50 34 and 11 28 respectively) I'm keeping the components and adding them to another bike but in the process of upgrading the Crank and Cassette I thought I'd see what options I have for new Front and Rear De-railures.

Cheers
Whatever upgraded derailuers you get will have to be compatible with the sora shifters. That means only 8 speed shimano or SRAM. You won't have much selection and it won't be much of an upgrade in terms of quality.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
What they said.
But if you insist keep in mind that the rear hub will need to be compatible too. So you can scratch Campy off the list unless you want to spring for a hub and wheel rebuild also. Pretty sure Sram and Shimano 10 will be fine but double check on that.

·
9,790 Posts
If you're really planning on racing, Sora isn't going to do it for you. You can't shift from the drops. I don't know your budget, so I'll keep to the cheaper stuff.
Sram Apex - this will allow you to keep your wheels. It's inexpensive, 10 speed, and is easily shifted from the drops.

Campy Athena - you'll need new wheels or a conversion cassette. You gain 11 speed and European manufacturing.

Either choice will require a complete group (not groupset...that's like saying group group) although you can use your old brakes - but why would you? If the bike had Sora, the brakes are probably cheap crap (Rubbish in Brit-speak).

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wouldn't touch Campag unless you are sure your LBS likes it, or you plan to do all your own wrenching. Down here in the Wild West of England the bike shops pointed and laughed when I brought my Campag bike in with its diabolical Power Torque crank. One point blank refused to work on it. I've never ridden anything but Campag, but I do all my own wrenching so it's no big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.