Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am a high school student and our school is having all the seniors do a senior project type thing, and i have chosen to build and learn how to ride a road bike, and how to train for a race. what my question is... what type of training is required for a beginner like me? like i said, i am completely new to this. i am a runner, so i am in good shape to take intense workouts. Thanks.

-chris

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Beginner to beginner

I too am a beginner, so take my advice as just that. First thing I did was go to my local bookstore and pick up some cycling training books. From what I have discovered, most recommend developing a good base. This consists of doing longer length rides at a steady pace. The theory is you begin with a lower intensity, but higher time duration. Once the base is built, you begin increasing your intensity, but lower your time duration.
This can be done by mixing in interval training and speed training. This shouldn't be done every workout because overtraining and injury can occur. Usually 1 or 2 times a week for this is good. The type of training you do should correspond to the type of event you are training for. I have found with my training that variety is key. Establish your goals in order to help guide you in your training. This just scratches the surface on training, but hope it helps a little. Good luck to you and enjoy!

·
Registered
266 Posts
The key to cycling

Chungberrypie said:
does anyone have any suggestions? please?
Piles of miles. There's really a lot to it but if you want an over simplified version here it is. Build a base. For about 2 months do longer zone 2 and 3 rides. Concentrate on your spin, especially if you're a runner. Learn how to do more than push down on the pedals, perfect circles, 90+ rpms. One day a week you can get in strength work on the bike by doing big gear work, low cadence, stay at least 10 beats below LT. Stay below LT. After two months of this you'll be ready to start doing harder work. Get in a lot of work at LT or a couple of beats higher than LT, this builds power and helps train the body to clear lactic acid. Do 3 20 min sets 3 times a week. About 1.5 month before you race start doing higher HR stuff like 2 minutes all out and 2 recovery. 30 seconds on 30 off. That kind of stuff, don't do too much , once or twice a week is plenty. The key is to not thrash yourself to the point where when you can't do the high HR things at full throttle. You can use a lot of the same fitness techniques that you use in running after you develop your base. The base is the most important thing even if you're fit from another sport.

Get the Trainingbible. Lots and lots of good info in there. There's a lot of good resources out there just look for it and read. Even Lance's training book doesn't suck completely. If I was doing a paper I'd compare and contrast older training techniques with modern by review Lemond's and Hinault's books.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Patience

Chungberrypie said:
does anyone have any suggestions? please?
Ride with other people. So often at races folks that have spent mega hours on trainers or riding by themselves are quickly overwhelmed when there are people all around them. Sure a training program is important but be certain it incorporates a lot of group riding. Another bonus is that most groups have a few individuals that posess a wealth of knowledge that they may be willing to share.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
triple shot espresso said:
If I was doing a paper I'd compare and contrast older training techniques with modern by review Lemond's and Hinault's books.
Good advice. I was just rereading parts of Eddie B's training book. Alot of it seemed positivey antiquated (mostly due to advice on equipment) compared to todays standards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts