Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:blush2: ALTHOUGH I AM NEW AT THIS TIME IN MY LIFE TO WHAT MAY BE CONSIDERED SERIOUS ROAD BIKING, I HAVE ACHIEVED THE ABILITY TO RIDE TWENTY TO TWENTYTWO MILES EVERY OTHER DAY. MY EGO IS STARTING TO GET IN THE WAY WHEN RIDERS I FEEL I AM UP TO PAR WITH ARE BLOWING ME AWAY AND GIVING ME THAT"LOOK AT ME SLOW POKE SMIRK!" TO COUNTER THIS I HAVE LOOKED INTO UPGRADING PARTS REPLACEMENT TO AT LEAST TRY TO ACHIEVE THE SPEED CAPABILITIES THEIR BIKES HAVE THAT MINE DOSN'T. I PRESENTLY RIDE A SUN DELRAY 700C 21 SPEED. I CONTACTED MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP EXPLAINING MY DILEMA AND WAS TOLD MY OUT OF POCKET WOULD BE AROUND $ 1000.OO. NEEDLESS TO SAY BEING AN OLD MAN ON A FIXED INCOME THIS IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. WITH THIS IN MIND THAT IS WHY I HAVE PICKED A PUBLIC FORUM HOPING TO FIND A SOLUTION BY SUGGESTION. ALL THOUGHTS I WELCOME WITH HUMILITY.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Ride what you have for now as long as it fits.
A better fit on the same ride will make a difference.
A more advanced bike with equal fit won't do much when it come to speed on the rides you are describing.
Read up on riding in a group, understand how it works and what is expected. If you are truly on par, tag on and see if you can keep up, not having to break the wind will easily make up for any issues your bike may have.
I still pull out a 30 year old 14 speed (was only 12 originally) from time to time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with everyone here, just keep riding more. I've been riding at least for 2 months and have noticed my speed increase since I started. Just be patient and ride more. After a couple months you'll be 'smirking' at someone else.

P.S. No need to yell, take the cap locks off.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Just ride your bike and ignore the other riders, and whatever they might be thinking. Who the hell cares?

You describe yourself as an "old man." I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but you ought to have to have enough wisdom of age to realize that it doesn't matter squat whether somebody passes you and smirks (even if they do -- you probably imagine it most of the time.)

This isn't a matter of ignorance -- it's a question of attitude. Ride as well as you can, get more fit, improve technique, have fun, be safe, be healthy. Those are the things that matter, not whether you get passed by some guy you "feel you are up to par with" (and why do you feel that? do you know his experience, talent, training plan, etc.?)

The only ignorance here is thinking that a different bike will make you much faster. Your bike is fine. Ride it.

And don't forget to have fun.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It's all a matter of mind over matter. In your mind, looks and smirks shouldn't matter. Lose that part of your ego that yearns for public approval and acknowledgement.

Just simply ride often and enjoy your ride. Ride for the sheer pleasure of riding.

Leave all the speed, racing, and competition for the younger guys. For us older guys, I would think that more satisfaction would be derived from the fresh air, the wind lending its cool breeze on warm days, taking in the scenes of nature, enjoying the intrinsic thrill of the cycling motion itself, and the exercise.

Going faster than someone else is an ego-driven desire.

Ego spawns desire, aggression, and ignorance. All three comprise the Wheel of Samsara. Just learn to center yourself, meditate, and let it all go.

Satisfaction will soon follow....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
easy w/ the 'caps lock' there buddy. and remember...it's not the bike. your bike will go as fast as you pedal it.
Sorry! Did not mean to appear rude with the cap lock. For those I normally communicate with which is by email it makes for an easy read. my understanding of your post is "FORGITABOUTIT" It's strictly me. Save money ride more. Appreciate your input. THANKS! 'SHOOT'

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.