Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started to ride this year. I have been out on the bike a total of four times. I decided to get into biking b/c of knee surgery that was pending. I got my bike Felt F65 (2006) Closeout. My shoes, my clipless pedals, my helmet. I'm ready to go. Got about three miles from hoe yesterday on my first ride post surgery. And..yep..you guessed it, flat tire! No seat bag or spare tubes or cell phone for that matter! Only have my road shoes on! What a miserable beginner mistake! Have you tried finding a pay phone recently? Good luck! Luckily after a mile or so of walking, I passed a walker with a cell phone and a heart! Called wife, she came to pick me up. After Breakfast, jumping in the shower, and heading to the LBS. Lesson learned! Wanted to share to help anybody else that might be as bone-headed as I am!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're lucky your wife came to pick you up

I put my chain back wrong and it ended up sucking my derailler thru the wheel and breaking the chain and a number of spokes. Then jammed the wheel so it flatted and ripped apart the tire.

Called the wife at home, on the cell but she doesn't answer the call. I've got to walk home 8 miles pushing the bike. She's there when I get there. I ask, don't you check your messages? Argument ensues. Good times.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
kxdub said:
So I just started to ride this year. I have been out on the bike a total of four times. I decided to get into biking b/c of knee surgery that was pending. I got my bike Felt F65 (2006) Closeout. My shoes, my clipless pedals, my helmet. I'm ready to go. Got about three miles from hoe yesterday on my first ride post surgery. And..yep..you guessed it, flat tire! No seat bag or spare tubes or cell phone for that matter! Only have my road shoes on! What a miserable beginner mistake! Have you tried finding a pay phone recently? Good luck! Luckily after a mile or so of walking, I passed a walker with a cell phone and a heart! Called wife, she came to pick me up. After Breakfast, jumping in the shower, and heading to the LBS. Lesson learned! Wanted to share to help anybody else that might be as bone-headed as I am!
I've read this from others, but if you were going to have to walk a long distance on your cleats it is better to waste a pair of socks and put them on the outside of your shoes than to knick the cleats up. :shrug: Yah, most def get a seat bag~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I did, took the shoes off, and walked in my socks. Lots of little stones, fortunately, no glass, at least none I stepped on. Nice to know, others have done this too, at least nice in the sense that I'm not the only bonehead! Do most people take a cell with you on your rides?

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
kxdub said:
That's what I did, took the shoes off, and walked in my socks. Lots of little stones, fortunately, no glass, at least none I stepped on. Nice to know, others have done this too, at least nice in the sense that I'm not the only bonehead! Do most people take a cell with you on your rides?
On the day I forgot my cell phone- always take it, I had a flat. I had a spare tube, tire levers, CO2 inflator, and two CO2 cartridges. The trouble was the first CO2 cartridge was empty, and the second one was the wrong size (the larger one for my mountain bike).

I met a lady walking her new Trek Madone on the MUT a couple of weeks ago- less than a week old, flat tire. Her husband had transfered all her things from her old seat bag to her new one- except her tire levers. I wouldn't have wanted to be him when she got home.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
California L33 said:
I met a lady walking her new Trek Madone on the MUT a couple of weeks ago- less than a week old, flat tire. Her husband had transfered all her things from her old seat bag to her new one- except her tire levers. I wouldn't have wanted to be him when she got home.
At least she's better off than the ladies I come across that can't change their flat because they didn't pack their husband along with them :rolleyes:

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Andrea138 said:
At least she's better off than the ladies I come across that can't change their flat because they didn't pack their husband along with them :rolleyes:
I resemble that remark! But what else do I keep him around for :thumbsup:

We've always used saddle bags. But, I did flat one day and we wound up walking over to a close-ish Sport Chalet for a new tube (I forget why we had to do that, possibly had run out of new tubes?). It was maybe 1.5mi out of the way, if that.

I pretty much always carry my cell phone, but it has occured to me more than once that I probably wouldn't have anyone to call to pick me up if I did have an issue!

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
If you ride in road shoes...

get a set of cleat covers; they're cheap and allow you to walk for all the little things you might need, like a bottle of cold gatorade, a snack, the long way home. etc.

If you don't like cleat covers, get mountain shoes and pedals. You can walk in them. If you're reading this, you're not racing and you don't need road shoes.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Rustus said:
Cell phones don't work where I live and ride.
Then you'll need a standard phone with a really long cord-

-or a satellite phone.

Where do you live and ride? If you go with a carrier that uses CDMI (?) instead of PCS you get better coverage in remote areas. I hiked deep into the back country of Yosemite with some friends and had coverage with my old mulit-mode phone (Verizon) miles and miles after my friends lost coverage with their cute little brightly colored does everything but make phone calls well gumdrop phones.

·
I like the BIG RING
160 Posts
Seat Bag - Tool kit, CO2 pump, patch kit, spare tube, cell phone, driver's license (ID), and a $20 bill. Also, I use SPD pedals and MTB shoes. Heavier, yes, but I can walk if I have to! (and a few grams means nuthin'!! I am 5-11 195 lbs, what the F is a few extra grams???!!)

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
kxdub said:
You're in good company making that mistake. Heck over the years I've come across two of our club members (on separate rides) and they were both about eight miles from home. There they were, walking down the shoulder of the road. Of course they had no spare tube or pump. I wanted to wet myself laughing as they both knew better. One of them had the excuse that floored me - "I've never had a flat tire while out on a ride before." The logic of that statement missed me completely. Luckily I was on tubulars and he was on clinchers so the eight mile walk was probably the jolt he needed.

The second one (I loaned him a tube) was a school teacher on a high$ Kestrel. I thought teachers had to have some brains?

An eight mile walk on a 90 degree day could prove fatal if nothing else.

I carry two tubes, a patch kit, sidewall boot material, a pump, a chain tool, ID around my neck, a plastic whistle (I ride mtb a lot) AND a cell phone.

·
HannahG
45 Posts
I had a similar situation just this last weekend, which was only a week and a hlaf or so after getting my 1st road bike

I had ridden on Thursday night, tire pressure was fine when I got back. when I went to get my bike to ride on Sat/ night, the back tire was tres flat. I pumped it back up, figuring that the valve had gotten bumped or something, then rode around in the driveway for 5 min or so, it was completely fine-holding air fine. The padre said it was fine to go for a ride... I got a mile down the road before it was flat again-a little trip to the LBS revealed a thorn had poked through the tire and had popped the inner tube.

I now carry a pump, patch kit, cell, extra tube, and a $5 bill in my seatbag.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are you telling us that your LBS didn't square you away? They should be ashamed..... unless you didn't listen to them. They are a valuable, untapped resource to newbies if you are nice to them. Some of us even bring them beer.

I am a woman newbie/wanna be (former LT in U.S. Army). I took the Bike Maintenance 101 Class - yes, I can change a tire and lube my bike.... all by myself. Cell phone - always, 20 bucks - a must, Co2 cartridge and tube out of the box with a rubber band around it and in a plastic bag to protect it from punctures - for sure, quick stick - never leave home without it and multipurpose tool like a Leatherman - priceless. Check out my blog, April 2 - Top 10 Tips Learned in Bike Maintenance 101 - LOLs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a flat recently and snapped one of my tire levers trying to remove the steel bead tire. I did fix it, ended up using my bottle opener, luckily I had my car keys with me. But five miles later glass did not cooperate with my other tire, minus a tube I was 11 miles out. Good times. I always have good and bad days riding. Usually I can fix it or walk it home, but I have thumbed my way home too...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good idea. There's never enough room in the traditional pack for everything. I mean, you get carried away, and want to pack everything but the kitchen sink. It gets ridiculous!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.