Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
When we heard that Dorel/Pacific bought Cannondale, we at the shop started an informal betting pool as to how much longer Cannondale would manufacture any bikes, carbon or aluminum, in the U.S.

Dorel is run by "bean counters" and only the bottom line counts.

Trek U.S. production is now pretty much restricted to 5 series and above Madones.

Never been a "Cannonwhale" fan, but it's a shame regardless.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i think we all saw this coming once cannondale was aquired.

i was in a bike shop last fall and the guy said he had heard some shatter about cdale not making any AL-only frames after the CAAD9. i doubted that would happen, but now i can see them moving all the american AL work overseas.

arent cdales the only mass market AL frames built in the US? maybe the CAADX will be the last fully AL frame manufactured in the US.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Bunch of Idiots at Dorel/Pacific

Although the bottom line may be reduced by transferring production overseas, that is assuming that sales volume will remain near historical levels. But I for one would not buy a C-Dale Al frame once they switch production overseas because for me the allure of their Al frames was the fact they are the last high-end AL frames produced in the US. Granted, the quantifiable traits of the frame- stiff, fast, durable nature of the CAAD 9 will still be the same. So for some, it won't matter where the CAAD 9 is made but for me that matters. Part of why I like the Colnagos and DeRosas- most frames still made in Italy!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought the 2009 CAAD9 specifically because it was US built.
Wonder if it will be one of the last to be made in the US.
Hellllooooo resale value!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Time to forget about Cannondale and move on. They sucked, then they where good and now they're becoming there own cheap knock offs.

Don't hold on to tradition (501's, stratocasters, cannondales etc) cuz the companies themselves dont even give a #$%t. If only ikea sold bikes, lol. Nothing makes sense anymore!

·
Registered
17 Posts
bwana said:
Until I find other button fly jeans, I'll stick with 501s.
Man, I luv my 501's, the other day I went to get another 2 pair. They're up 30 bucks and I cant find the same basic dark blue ones I've been buying for 18 yrs, the guy workin was like "I havent seen those for months, i think theyre discontinued".

And strats, well u can get the real usa ones brand new if you want but here in Canada the one you want is well over $4000 with taxes. Remember a strat is 2 pieces of wood bolted together, one of which is shaped a little. They're built because there easy to build. sorry i'm ranting cuz i dont make enuff $

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Another HUGE thing the folks at Dorel/Pacific fail to consider...

Cannondales are HUGE in Europe! Reason?? Because they are made in the USA. Just as many here in the US love all things (especially bikes) European, those folks love some things American- and Cannondale/Trek (US Made) are the epitomy of the best of the US. I can almost guarantee that all, if not, most of those sales will be gone like the wind. When companies lose the pulse of what makes it successful and only focus on the bottom line that bean counters advise to the C-suite level folks, they eventually fail.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
OT - 501s

TheHeavy said:
Man, I luv my 501's, the other day I went to get another 2 pair. They're up 30 bucks and I cant find the same basic dark blue ones I've been buying for 18 yrs, the guy workin was like "I havent seen those for months, i think theyre discontinued".
I buy jeans from "Western Wear" retailers. Classic example of market-based pricing. You can buy 501s from from a boutique where they represent retro-hipness and pay $50-$60. At a Western store they are just pants and they are $30-$40.

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/classic_fit_jeans/010022.html
http://www.sheplers.com/mens/classic_fit_jeans/010390.html

·
One Colorful Rider
103 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Cannondales are HUGE in Europe! Reason?? Because they are made in the USA. Just as many here in the US love all things (especially bikes) European, those folks love some things American- and Cannondale/Trek (US Made) are the epitomy of the best of the US. I can almost guarantee that all, if not, most of those sales will be gone like the wind. When companies lose the pulse of what makes it successful and only focus on the bottom line that bean counters advise to the C-suite level folks, they eventually fail.
Amen!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Normbilt said:
Thank you my brutha. now if you please add your offerings to my coffer! ;)

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
This was inevitable long before Dorel bought Cannondale. Why do you think Cannondale was for sale to begin with? They had a business model that couldn't be sustained in today's world. Are high end Italian manufacturers going out of business and losing customers because their frames are built in east Asia? Hardly. This had to be done if Cannondale was to stay in business at all. Every manufacturer has done or is doing the same (going to east Asia). They have to to survive.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you care about USA made alu... there is always Spooky. I don't mind if they are made in Taiwan personally but I am not really convinced that this will help them out in the long run.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
tober1 said:
I bought the 2009 CAAD9 specifically because it was US built.
Wonder if it will be one of the last to be made in the US.
Hellllooooo resale value!
I'm still holding out some hope... we'll see what happens MY2010.... btw, the cannondale ultra forks are chinese IIRC.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts