Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promoted a race over the weekend and dealt with mostly good, experienced racers or grown up novices and we all had a grand time and it seemed like people enjoyed the event. As is often the case, I spent extra time dealing with some extra work caused by a few oversights. If riders could just do a few things it would help make the day better for everyone:

1) pre register and make sure to complete the license number on bikereg with the correct number. International riders simply put INTL in the space so I know which waiver to print.

2) Don't wad or fold the number and pin it flat so it can be read. It's really hard to pick all the numbers and one missed read cascades through the whole results.

3) Listen to the pre race directions on the line. Every single time there are guys yacking in the back because they figure the instructions are just meant for the lead riders. The officials are explaining important rules that are often known to the riders on the front line and are often ignored by those yacking, so please listen and focus.

4) Check the results. Ours had some errors and I worked with the riders to correct them during protest. Riders who finish further back often skip checking results in favor of more yacking in the parking lot and email me a day or two later with corrections. Once the results are signed, that's then end of the bike race. I explain this on the line and the same guys yacking (see #3) are the same guys emailing me about 47th. place.

I appreciate good racers so much and try my best to be one. I takes a thimbleful of extra effort not to be a pain in the ass. Every local promoter and official can name 5 pain in the ass riders off the top of their head and the names are always the same, lets all aspire to not be on that list.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed on your points above. I can imagine that a few small steps would alleviate some major headaches.

And thanks for being a local promoter, and thanks to all the local/regional/national promoters out there. I'm sure it's an incredible amount of work and your dedication to the sport is what makes this all worthwhile.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Another thanks for promoting races. I've done a few and it can be a tough job punctuated by a few complainers. Local racing is the best racing in my opinion.

·
dirtroadie
16 Posts
Hey John,
First off that was a really fun race on Saturday (I was part of the large Canadian group). Thanks for putting on a great event!

jroden said:
1) pre register and make sure to complete the license number on bikereg with the correct number. International riders simply put INTL in the space so I know which waiver to print.
Unless I missed something, if you register without having a bikereg profile it doesn't seem to have a field for a license number, otherwise I'm sure we would have entered it to make things easier :confused:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rwatt said:
Hey John,
First off that was a really fun race on Saturday (I was part of the large Canadian group). Thanks for putting on a great event!

Unless I missed something, if you register without having a bikereg profile it doesn't seem to have a field for a license number, otherwise I'm sure we would have entered it to make things easier :confused:
I figured most of the canadians held an OCA license which we accept as it is a UCI license. A few of the MTB types don't hold one, but most do.

I really like bikereg, but need to figure out how to force an entry in the license field. Our state official stated the following related to international lic numbers:

"Make sure ALL the information in your Bikereg profile is correct and up to date - address, club/team, road/track/cross categories, emergency contact (if yours is still the girlfriend you broke up with two years ago and you get hurt and transported, we may have difficulty reaching the correct person to inform them). Those with UCI licenses, please DON'T enter INTL - enter the UCI license number, the one formatted ABCyyyymmdd with ABC = country code and yyyymmdd = date of birth. This is the information that is downloaded to the organizer and ends up on the pre-printed USAC release form, and on the start list and results - if the team you were on last year is next to your name in the results, it's because you haven't updated your profile."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts