Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally succumbed to some infection or other, and it went down into my chest after starting as as the usual sore throat/plugged ears etc.

Finally realized I was not beating it on my own, and got some antibios--which turned the corner, but the congestion in my chest is persisting. I wake up to morning coughing sessions, then have a reasonable day, then late in the day the tickle comes back along with shortness of breath.

Am I gonna die?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm not a doctor but I had similar symptoms and Doc told me I have Acid reflux and start taking the purple pill. Stopped the pill and developed a respiratory infection that took antibiotics. She said don't stop the purple pill. Check with your doctor.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
When I get a seasonal cough, it lasts for a couple of months. Went to the doctor when my husband couldn't take it anymore.

I think it was steroids that took care of it last time......could've been allergy-related. Yours is definitely due to an infection?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Of course you're gonna die. Everybody dies.

Being sick any time sucks.

My wife just started chemotherapy. I will never, ever again b*tch about having a cold.

Hope you get better soon, and that you die of something completely different a long time from now.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
My wife just started chemotherapy. I will never, ever again b*tch about having a cold.

Of course you will b!tch. Everybody b!tches about stupid stuff :p

But seriously, good luck to your wife!! I hope it's the gentler form of chemo (if what I heard is true, that you can get through it with minimal effects.)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

Of course you will b!tch. Everybody b!tches about stupid stuff :p

But seriously, good luck to your wife!! I hope it's the gentler form of chemo (if what I heard is true, that you can get through it with minimal effects.)
Thanks. Unfortunately, it's pretty nasty stuff (the cancer was found early stage, but it's an aggressive type of tumor cell), but so far she's handling it well. She's very strong, and was extremely healthy until this. It's going to be a long and unpleasant 5 months or so, but I have no doubt she'll get through it and be in good shape again.

I'm sure I'll ***** about lots of stupid stuff, but I will STFU about minor health concerns and physical discomforts.

Thanks for the good wishes.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Unfortunately, it's pretty nasty stuff (the cancer was found early stage, but it's an aggressive type of tumor cell), but so far she's handling it well. She's very strong, and was extremely healthy until this. It's going to be a long and unpleasant 5 months or so, but I have no doubt she'll get through it and be in good shape again.

I'm sure I'll ***** about lots of stupid stuff, but I will STFU about minor health concerns and physical discomforts.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Yeah, makes me sound like a piker.

Sending good thoughts for your wife--cancer sucks!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yeah, makes me sound like a piker.

Sending good thoughts for your wife--cancer sucks!
Thanks, man. And I didn't mean to denigrate your experience; it does sound unpleasant.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Cancer sucks period... Surround your self with good family, and good friends. thoughts and prayers for you and your wife JCavilia... in GOD's speed

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
She's very strong, and was extremely healthy until this.

Isn't that the biggest kick in the pants?? I know people who are chain-smoking/drinking/medicating their way through life, yet the strong, healthy, fit people are dealing with cancer. :mad2: You try to do everything right, and it doesn't even matter half the time. :nonod:

Let's hope that your wife's fitness carries over into the treatment. I suspect it will help her remain strong.

In the meantime, b!tching about colds is still perfectly fine, b/c those might not be cancer, but they still suck and are beyond annoying. :p

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
She's very strong, and was extremely healthy until this.

Isn't that the biggest kick in the pants?? I know people who are chain-smoking/drinking/medicating their way through life, yet the strong, healthy, fit people are dealing with cancer. :mad2: You try to do everything right, and it doesn't even matter half the time. :p
You got that exactly right. She must have said some variation on that a hundred times in the first few days after diagnosis. It made her even more depressed. She's gotten a little perspective now, but I keep reminding her that she did nothing to deserve this. Sh*t just happens. These are truly random events, in the truly random quantum-physics sense. Literally. A cosmic ray, or the random decay of one f*cking radioactive nucleus, looses a bit of radiation that breaks a bond in one DNA molecule, altering a gene and turning that cell into a rampaging monster. The very archetype of "sh*t happens."

That's what I'd say to myself to keep my head on if it were me. I'm not sure it helps her so much.

"It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end."

That's from one of my favorite poems, by Robert Frost. I'm not sure it's relevant here, but reading it always makes me feel a little better. Perhaps some of you will enjoy it.
Choose Something Like a Star

by Robert Frost

O Star (the fairest one in sight),
We grant your loftiness the right
To some obscurity of cloud—
It will not do to say of night,
Since dark is what brings out your light.
Some mystery becomes the proud.
But to be wholly taciturn
In your reserve is not allowed.
Say something to us we can learn
By heart and when alone repeat.
Say something! And it says, 'I burn.'
But say with what degree of heat.
Talk Fahrenheit, talk Centigrade.
Use language we can comprehend.
Tell us what elements you blend.
It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end.