Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been diliquent, reading and enjoying everybody else's ride report, and not posting my own.

Last September, my wife and I escaped for our 10th anniversary to "The City". After spending the first day walking the Embarcadaro, and noticing the biek rental spot along, we decided we would rent a tandem the next day. We started by getting off BART a couple stops before the Embarcadaro, by the start of the trolley ride. (10th and Howell, i think). We ended up on the street car that took the westerly route.

2 block from the end was the bike rental place, pretty sweet placement.

M and the ride.

We got the little bike route map, and decided to go over the Golden Gate bridge, down to Sausilito, and up to the Muir Woods.

I don't know how we got this picture, te bridge was crowded with people wandering aimlessly along the sidewalk.

Couple more from along the bridge.
me and the tandem.

Bridge view North.

Sausilito

house up from Sausilito, on the way down from the Muir Woods.

I didn't get any pictures, cause we ended up climbing about 500 feet and got close, but we were both getting tired and hungry, so we turned back, and headed for dinner in Sausilito.

Here is our route.
<!-- MMF PARTNER TOOL -->

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We got back to Sausilito about 7:00pm, htey were rolling up the side walks, my kind of town. Found a wonderful Italian joint and had a great dinner.

We didn't end up leaving until about 10:00pm. No light on the rented tandem, but hey, it;s the big CITY, right. The Golden Gate bridge was all ours.

All in all a great ride back. the Presidoio was closed, so we rode the city streets, enjoyed the night life along the Embarcadaro, and cought a late BART back to the South end, we were staying by the airport.

FYI, it is not easy maneuvering a tandem onto the BART platform, especially when you are not used to it. I got it stuck in the turnstile at the Embarcadaro station. much better idea to use the handicap entrance. The bike is really long, and takes up a lot of room on the train.

We locked it outside the Airport Marriott, and it was still there in the morning, repeated the train process, rode around the east side of downtown, I got smacked for that. Cruised the Embarcadaro, weaving in and out of traffic like the bike messangers and other local, 2 cruise ships were in, and returned the bike 24 minute before our 24 hour were up. Great way to spend $48

I will try to get these posted in a more timely fashion.

Cheers!:thumbsup:
Sledge

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I love that Golden Gate route. Riding a tandem in traffic. . .I've got respect for you. You're story about the BART made me laugh. I can picture you trying to weave the bike through the station. Pretty funny.

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Golden Gate Bridge was great. It is amazing to see the foresight the designers had, 6 lanes of traffic and a sidewalk on both sides. The westerly sidewalk was closed, as they were painting the bridge.

Most of the riding was on MUT's or quiet residental street, in Mill Valley. We were on the road from the bridge down to Sausilito, but we were going faster than the cars. When we came up that hill it was dark, and only 2 cars passed us.

The bridge sidewalk is much easier to negoiate after dark, no tourists wandering aimlessly.

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Umm, it's Powell Street.

The west side walkway of The Golden Gate Bridge is open during commuting hours and weekends to cyclists only. No pedestrians allowed during those times. On a busy weekend there are plenty of tourists riding their rented bikes slowly across that span and a few who will decide to stop right in the middle of the path to take pictures (no offense to you - I had an idiot stop at one of the narrowest parts of the walkway in front of me with just enough space for me to squeeze past and I almost knocked his camera into the car traffic lanes doing so, the guy going in the opposite direction almost slammed into the back of him because he stopped short right in his path).

Great pictures! Being a local I forget about most of those placess that someone from out of town would love to see. You could have taken the bike on to a ferry to Angel Island and rode around that. The only catch is that you have to be off the island by sunset or you will be collected by the park rangers, fined, then made to pay to be taken off the island as overnight stays are only by reservation and at a price.

About taking a bike on to BART: you are not supposed to take your bike through the turnstile. You use the handicap gate, lean the bike against a convenient rail somewhere, walk back through the gate, then enter as a pedestrian. I've seen people lift their bike high overhead with one hand while going through those turnstiles and they are not supposed to do that as they can hit someone in the head with their bike if they are not paying attention. You didn't take the bike on to the escalators, did you? That's a big safety concern, too, though I see people do it all the time. I've taken my bike downtown on BART plenty of times with my last job so I can relate, though my bikes are not nearly as long as a tandem.

I'm glad you had fun in our little "City By The Bay".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.