Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a group ride yesterday. I looked back for a friend, while another friend in front of me slowed down abruptly. When I turned to look ahead, I was about to collide into him. I didn't want to swerve into traffic so my first instinct was to brake hard. I braked so hard that I flew over the top of the handlebars, going about 10-15 mph. I hit head first and was knocked out. I woke up in a pool of blood to a stranger was pressing a rag on my face to control the bleeding.
<o></o>
Luckily, no broken bones, but I do have a concussion, a fair amount of road rash, and a decent sized laceration on my face. My back, neck and head are in pain. I've been taking vicodin and valium so I can manage. Dr says the third day will be the worst after all the adrenalin in my body wears off.

I will definitely go back to Bell for my next helmet, the helmet was cracked in several places. I'm glad that it was the helmet that cracked and not my head. I will probably stay away from the frameless glasses going forward. As for the bike, my friends say there is some rash on the bike and the left shifter may be out of spec. It's hanging in my garage, but I can't even bring it down due to pain. I'll most likely bring it to my LBS to get everything checked out. In the end, I'm grateful things didn't turn out worse. Bike and everything else is replaceable, I am not. Another lesson learned for me.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
yuck!

I thought vicodin / valium were no-no's after a concussion?

anyway, any type of glasses will cut your face if you land right. just try not to do that again.
*shrugs* Not sure? The ER dr told me not to mix the two. So I'm taking vicodin throughout the day and then valium before bed, 4 hours after the last vicodin pill.

Gotcha, I figured it was the frameless edge that got me. I do love the frameless style though as it gives me the most unrestricted view.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Serious ouch. Head injuries suck, but sounds like you'll be all right in the long run on this one. Don't faces bleed wonderfully? :)

· Registered
167 Posts
Ouchh!! Good to know you're OK overall. I had a very similar experience about a year ago. Was powering down a flat road on a club ride, light turns yellow, and my buddy in front decided to swerve to the right, directly in my path. I applied my brakes, but decided at that split moment that I had to hit him (not intentionally) but my options were to brake as hard as I could (like you did), swerve sharply to avoid him which would make me crash really bad, or hit him after tapering my speed as much as safely possible. We both crashed since I hit him sort of broadside. I fell headlong into asphalt, cracking my helmet, and bruising my right knee. He actually was OK. With those speeds ( I was going about 20), it's hard to make the right decision, and I think you made the right call. Just a quick question, did you pull your weight back (bum toward back of saddle), hunkered down (like you were crossing the finish on a bike race), then pressed the brakes (rear brake slightly ahead of front) ?

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
izzyfly said:
Ouchh!! Good to know you're OK overall. I had a very similar experience about a year ago. Was powering down a flat road on a club ride, light turns yellow, and my buddy in front decided to swerve to the right, directly in my path. I applied my brakes, but decided at that split moment that I had to hit him (not intentionally) but my options were to brake as hard as I could (like you did), swerve sharply to avoid him which would make me crash really bad, or hit him after tapering my speed as much as safely possible. We both crashed since I hit him sort of broadside. I fell headlong into asphalt, cracking my helmet, and bruising my right knee. He actually was OK. With those speeds ( I was going about 20), it's hard to make the right decision, and I think you made the right call. Just a quick question, did you pull your weight back (bum toward back of saddle), hunkered down (like you were crossing the finish on a bike race), then pressed the brakes (rear brake slightly ahead of front) ?
I'm glad you came out alright after your crash. Unfortunately, in those situations, it seems like no matter what you decide, someone will get hurt.

I guess the funny thing is... the instant I looked ahead, I thought to myself "$&#*, he just bought his Cervelo" That was the last thing I could recall. I don't remember how I was seated, or even going over the handlebars. The riders behind me said I flew over the bars. My buddy in front, heard the commotion, looked back, and the first thing he saw was the Specialized "S" on my bottom bracket in mid-air and knew that wasn't a good sign.

· Just Plain Bitter
8,622 Posts
Glad you here talking about it! Me thinks you will be hurting for a few weeks. Take stock see what needs to be fixed and then deal with the damage.

· Registered
78 Posts
Glad you are relatively alright. I have had two accidents both with Bell Sweep Race Helmets. Both cracked but saved my life - One I even managed to bike 35 miles home, the other not so lucky it knocked me out. You could say I am a big Bell fan now!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies! Glad to see there's people out there who can relate. Thanks for everyone's optimism and encouragement as well, makes being bed / couch ridden, not so bad. It may be awhile, but I can't wait to get back on the bike!

I'm actually looking at picking up a Bell Sweep via the crash replacement program. :thumbsup:

· Folsom City Blues...
8,329 Posts
Bummer, I wish you a fast and speedy recovery and then you can enjoy the rest of the summer.

Peace :cool:

· Just Plain Bitter
8,622 Posts
Excerpt from Bell Helmet Owners Manual

For U.S. Customers:

1. Send the following:
a. The damaged helmet (prepaid);
b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt;
c. A letter describing your accident in as much detail as possible; and
d. A check for $35.00 for Fusion In-Mold helmets or a check for $20.00

for non-Fusion helmets
Safety Tips
Crash Replacement Policy
ENGLISH

2. Send to:
Bell Sports, Inc.
Consumer Service
1924 County Road, 3000 North Rantoul, Illinois 61866-9512

For Canadian Customers:
1. Call Outdoor Gear Canada (1-514-332-1320) to
find out what the replacement cost is for your helmet.
This low costreplacement fee varies by model. 2. Send the following:
a. b. c. d.
The damaged helmet (prepaid); A copy of your dated cash register receipt; A letter describing your accident in as much detail as possible; and A check in the amount quoted by Canadian Customer Service
3. Send to: Outdoor Gear Canada 2708 Diab St. Laurent, Quebec H4S IE8 CANADA

The crash replacement program is available to U.S. and Canadian customers only. Customers outside the U.S. and Canada should call 1-800-456-BELL for information on the crash replacement program applicable to them. If you have any questions about this policy call Bell at 1-800-456-BELL. Remember: NEVER wear a helmet that’s been involved in an accident.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for everyone's encouragement.

Below is what I got from Bell. I went ahead and ordered a 2010 Bell Sweep.

"For helmets damaged in an accident we offer a 30% discount off a new Bell / Giro helmet and 20% off on Auto helmets – Closeout models do not apply. You may select any new helmet not listed on the clearance/closeout section and email me the new order number when you complete the order. I will change the price amount when the order is downloaded and process the order. Please also note there is a shipping charge even if the order has free shipping listed on the order. Sorry the free freight program applies to normal MSRP purchases only. We will require the serial number/model from the damaged helmet for this discount to be applied. This offer is only available from this site; no other shops offer this program.

In the comments section of the order you will need to write “Saved by the Bell and list the serial number and model of the damaged helmet”

Thank you"

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The LBS checked the bike and all they had to do was re-adjust my shifters as they were tweaked, and apply a little bit of clear nail polish to some gashes on the frame.

Yesterday, I rode for the first time since the accident. Boy, did it feel good to get back on the bike. I rode a short 20 mile flat route with my girlfriend. I had to stop several times due to some lower back pain, but I made it through. This is my first real physical activity since the accident and I slept for 12 hours straight last night. Slowly, but surely I am recovering :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.