Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So did a dumb move and left my helmet on bike racj today, so needless to say shopping for a new helemet. I used to have a atmos last year and liked it but shopping now I see the bell sweep is allot cheaper and I am curious. I liked how the atmos felt light and was airy..any comments on either?

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
capt_phun said:
+1 on whatever fits your head better. For me the Bell is way more comfortable than the Giro.
I'm here to contradict you. :D I had an Atmos and I lost it at a ride. I replaced it with a Bell Sweep R, and while they're both relatively light and airy, the Giro was more comfortable for me.

The Bell seems to have an internal shape that is "rounder" than the Giro, so if you have a head that is more oblong than round, then the top/front part of the Bell pushes into the forehead in an uncomfortable manner.

I still use the Bell as my primary helmet, however I had to "shape" some of the parts that touch the forehead so it would relieve the pressure. Bell probably does not endorse such a modification to the foam (I basically smooshed part of it with the handle of a screwdriver).

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Have both, ride both. Both are light and well vented. The Bell SweepR seems to have less wind noise than the Giro Atmos, and is certainly cheaper. I think the adjustment on the Giro is a bit better and tends to have more of a fine adjustment than the Bell. But both fit me well and I ride then interchangeably while the other dries out.

Since you know about the Atmos, if the SweepR fits you too, you probably wont be dissapointed with it.

hth
zac

· Registered
1,301 Posts
capt_phun said:
+1 on whatever fits your head better. For me the Bell is way more comfortable than the Giro.
+1 more. Both are nice helms, but I'm between M & L in better Giro's. The M Sweep is the best fitting I've ever tried. Surprisingly, cheaper universal-size Giro Encinal fits me better than Pneumo or Atmos.

· Registered
104 Posts
I have both and even the Specialized Decibel. If both the Sweep and Atmos fit you fine, I'd go with the Sweep b/c it's cheaper. I also like the adjustment knob on the Sweep, which allows for one-handed adjustment while you're on the bike. This might not seem like a big deal but on an MTB trail, having at least one hand on the bars is kinda mandatory. LOL.

· Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I'm here to contradict you. :D
The Bell seems to have an internal shape that is "rounder" than the Giro, so if you have a head that is more oblong than round, then the top/front part of the Bell pushes into the forehead in an uncomfortable manner.
I'm here to call you an egg-head :D I guess my gourd is round!

· Registered
296 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I've been wearing a Giro Monza for the last couple of years. I saw some great prices online on the SweepR, and I've been really, really tempted--I like the look. I was in a shop the other day (Performance in Va Beach--I was visiting family), and I finally tried on the SweepR. I was stunned to find out that my noggin ran straight into the exposed styrofoam at the front/top of my head. It was really uncomfortable.

So . . . I guess I'm a Giro man.

· Registered
36 Posts
+1 on fit. Buy the one that fits your head. Both are excellent helmets. The internal cavity of both are different. The Giro seems to have an narrower, elongated shape and the Bell has a rounder shape. I have a round noggin so I have the Sweep R and love it. I use to have the Giro and it would put so much pressure on my temples that I would get headaches by the time I am done with my ride.

· Registered
32 Posts
Bell hands down. Rode Giro for about two years and bought the Bell to match my new kit and was reluctant at first but have come to be huge fan. IMO the Sweep is much better at sweat absorption and ventalation.

Plus...all the badasses of the peloton wear the Bell.....easy pick

· Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
I went with the Giro Atmos and love it. I was wearing a Limar, but had irritating pressure points and few vents, which meant on hot summer days that sweat would rain on my glasses. With the Atmos, the plentiful vents change that. Not pressure points on my head, and I forgot that I was even wearing a helmet. It's really comfortable.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
to me the Bell is much much more comfortable. The Bell retention system is superior to the Giro and the S-Works

also consider the specialized s-works, very light with excellent vents/cooling ( i debadged mine and it has no logos)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.