Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any business with this on-line bike shop?

Their prices on Kuotas are very good (once you "register" and received their applied "discount" -- weird) -- they're in Switzerland (huh?) and shipping is a bit high -- but still good enough to make it worth it, if they're legit.

Feedback appreciated. THx

http://www.bellatisport.com

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Has nobody ever used Bellatisport? The savings on a frame for me, before shipping, would be close to $1,000. I cannot imagine that shipping would be anywhere close to that much.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Yep, shipping was $100 for me from Switzerland to the USA. Ended up getting a Cristallo from them back in October, even though I ordered it in August. They were great to deal with, and I even tried to buy another frame from them afterward, but I decided to go a different route instead. Mr. Bellati replies to e-mails quickly and he truly does care about his customers.

With that said, there was a price increase a couple of months ago, so the bargain isn't quite as good, but it is still better than anything I can find in the US.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Don't forget customs fees. Anything over $400 is subject to customs fees, and if I remember, bike stuff is taxed at 17%!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Don't forget customs fees. Anything over $400 is subject to customs fees, and if I remember, bike stuff is taxed at 17%!
Interesting. Where did you get that number? I'm curious as I'm looking at a purchase with bellatisport and I'm trying to determine the total cost of the transaction. I did a search on import costs/duties/etc and didn't come up with anything as concrete as the number you've stated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fabsroman said:
Yep, shipping was $100 for me from Switzerland to the USA. Ended up getting a Cristallo from them back in October, even though I ordered it in August. They were great to deal with, and I even tried to buy another frame from them afterward, but I decided to go a different route instead. Mr. Bellati replies to e-mails quickly and he truly does care about his customers.

With that said, there was a price increase a couple of months ago, so the bargain isn't quite as good, but it is still better than anything I can find in the US.
What were the import/duty fees? I'm considering a similar purchase.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
I didn't have to pay import/duty fees, but I think I might have gotten lucky on that one. Even if I had been charged import/duty fees, I think it would have still been a lot cheaper than getting the frame in the US. Do a search on this board about import/duty fees, and I think you will find plenty about it. It might have been covered in an 11 Speed post too.

Okay, I opened another window and did a search for you. Here is a thread that I found. I didn't read the whole thing, but I think it is the one I read back in December/early January.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=80892&highlight=11+Speed+duty

If the thread above doesn't work, it is under Classic Forums, Components and Wrenching, and it is dated around December 12, 2006.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fabsroman said:
I didn't have to pay import/duty fees, but I think I might have gotten lucky on that one. Even if I had been charged import/duty fees, I think it would have still been a lot cheaper than getting the frame in the US. Do a search on this board about import/duty fees, and I think you will find plenty about it. It might have been covered in an 11 Speed post too.

Okay, I opened another window and did a search for you. Here is a thread that I found. I didn't read the whole thing, but I think it is the one I read back in December/early January.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=80892&highlight=11+Speed+duty

If the thread above doesn't work, it is under Classic Forums, Components and Wrenching, and it is dated around December 12, 2006.
Thanks. It looks like a lot depends on how the shipper/exporter declares the goods. In fact it looks like it's quite possible to not pay any import/duty fees.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Regarding import/duty fees, it doesn't really matter how the seller declares the goods. What really matters is whether or not your customs broker actually takes the time to figure things out. I ordered two Record groupsets from 11 Speed and UPS Brokerage did a horrible job. The invoice broke down the individual parts in each groupo and provided the related Harmonized Tariff Schedule ("HTS") paragraphs/codes. I checked out each one with the HTS schedule on the US Customs website and they were all marked free except for the miscellaneous bike parts section which was 10%. It appears that the person dealing with my shipment just didn't want to take the time to do the job right. The night I received the package I gave UPS a check for the $300, and then tried to work it out with UPS that night via e-mail. The responses were terrible, so I put a stop payment on the check. Then, I tried calling UPS and I was given a number for their International Shipping department. Called that number and I was given a number to their Brokerage Department. Called that number and I was told that I needed to contact a broker in my state, and I was given that number and a specific name of who I should speak too. I called that number and left a voice mail for that person, but that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard back from them. Yep, great service on UPS's part. The stop payment cost me $30 too, but I guess it was worth it.

In building a bike, I don't know if it makes more sense or not to order the frame separately from all the components to save on duty because of the cost of shipping. For me, I saved thousands of dollars by building the bike myself and finding the lowest price on parts from wherever I could, but that also took a lot of time and patience.

G

·
I had no issues ordering a Wilier frame and most of the group from Belati Sports. On the site it says 4 to 6 weeks for delivery of that frame and it got here in a month. I communicated via email with him several times and he is always quick to respond.

Once the bike was in the mail it really didn't take any longer to get here than a frame box shipped in the US would. I have had no problems with customs (the frame was shipped with the parts I had purchased for the build up) and will use Belati Sport in the future.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
I've talked to a bunch of people on RBR who've ordered from Mr. Bellati. They all had good things to say.

I was considering buying something from him a while back, and he answered all of my emails promptly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts