Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen the first bike driven via a belt on ebay a couple days ago and i want to know what advantage that would bring. there are some photos to show it but still why?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I worked with them for a while and there were three reasons, in theory.

Belts are more efficient
Belts are lighter
Belts are stronger

Of course, this is all theoretical and we'll see how the belts perform in the real world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
tetter said:
i've seen the first bike driven via a belt on ebay a couple days ago and i want to know what advantage that would bring. there are some photos to show it but still why?
Interesting set up. I was wondering how you would install/remove a belt until I saw the little jigsaw connector piece in the dropout.

A belt drive system is also theoretically quieter, if that's a desirable attribute. It also doesn't need to be lubricated, but I have no clue how it'll perform in mud.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Belts can be plenty light and strong. Most Harleys produce a little power than bike riders, so belts can do the job. As far as gears goes you almost have t go Rolhoff hub to get gears on a belt drive. I would think a single speed cross bike with a belt would work fine. I road a Moots with a belt drive at the Handmade show just hucking around the hall. It was very quiet on the drive.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Belts are potentially stronger than chains and last much, much longer if taken care of.

As was mentioned above, all Harley's are belt driven and several other motorcycles are as well. On motorcycles a chain is good for about 15,000 miles where as a belt is good for 70,000 - 100,000 miles.

The are very low maintenance with no need for lubrication, quiet, don't need to be replaced nearly has often and every bit as efficient as chain drive.

The big problem with them when it comes to bikes...mud: they don't shed mud that well compared to a chain and you can only make single speeds with them unless you have an internally geared hub.

If/When internally geared hubs become the norm, I would expect belt drive to be the primary drive connection instead of a chain.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For a CX, it may work pretty well. I've test ridden a MTB, and for that low gearing, you have to have the belt pretty tight, which binds the axles a bit. For CX, the torque to the rr wheel is less, so tension could be less. Pretty cool though.
I'd love to not have to lube the chain all the time.

If you see more pix on this system, you'll see the cog and CR are hollowed out for mud clearing. Seems to do that well actually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.