Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Wasn't it also a condition of entry that the team would pay a 100,000 Euro fine to the ASO if they got caught with a doper?
w/o looking it up, I think you're correct.

eidted to add that the <a href="http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=reu-tourbeltranpolice_urgent&prov=reuters&type=lgns">hotel</a> got raided too. bad day for liquigas!

espn <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=cycling&id=3473392">says</a>:
<i>Teams will be fined up to $155,000 if one of its riders tests positive. Eric Boyer, head of the International Association of Professional Cyclist Groups, said the teams signed contracts accepting the new rule.</i>

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Wasn't it also a condition of entry that the team would pay a 100,000 Euro fine to the ASO if they got caught with a doper?
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I read the team has to be complicit in it. EPO like Testosterone is pretty much something any of us could do on our own. It's probably harder to get syringes than the drug itself.

Liquigas and Beltran are both old school, I suspect this will be another case of the rider falling on his sword and no one else will be implicated.

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Not suprised. ASO kicks UCI out of their race so that they don't have anyone checking over their shoulders to make sure they aren't up to any tricks. Only an idiot would show up to a ASO race with EPO in their system. Is Triki an idiot? or is he guilty by association? Where can I find the report about "10 who were warned"?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
stevesbike said:
Velonews has just posted saying he was tested positive for EPO. Yet another former postal rider!
Not to hijack the thread but...

When they went back and retroactively tested those frozen samples from the '99 Tour that generates so much controversy around Armstrong. IIRC, Beltran's sample from the prologue also had exogenous EPO in it that year.

I've got to say earlier this week when I noticed he was in the race, I thought "well there is one of the old guys who has surivived the purges of the last couple of years" but I guess not :)

Not too many guys who have survived the transition untarnished.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
from cyclingnews:

The French newspaper L'Equipe also reported that Beltran was one of ten riders found by the AFLD to have abnormal blood values in the days prior to the Tour. On July 3 and 4, the AFLD performed blood tests on riders "to allow for subsequent targeted doping tests during the Tour de France," the agency announced Friday.

·
Banned
608 Posts
LOL. Another of Armstrong's dopers caught. Pretty much every lieutenant on LA's team has either been busted or has admitted they were doping. Landis. Hamilton. Vaughters. Beltran. Heras. Jemison. Livingston. Basso. Jaochim. Andreu. Was there anyone on that team who was not on the juice?

I am sure LA was clean though. He was the one cyclist of his era who was never involved in doping...except for those six EPO positives..and his corticosteroid positive...and his doping doctor Ferrari...and his doping coach Carmichael...and the dope doctors brought over from ONCE...and his acting as an enforcer for omerta...and...and...and... He was clean I tell you. Clean!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Not to hijack the thread but...

When they went back and retroactively tested those frozen samples from the '99 Tour that generates so much controversy around Armstrong. IIRC, Beltran's sample from the prologue also had exogenous EPO in it that year.
This means nothing. We all know that the retrotesting was a french plot against Armstrong. His samples must have been spiked--even though they were tested anonymously and no one doing the testing knew which sample belonged to whom. They must have used phychics to tell them which bottles to spike. Those french bastards are tricky that way.

It is entirely a coincidence that Beltran was busted for the exact same thing he was proven to be doing by the retrotesting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.