Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Vise squad

steel515 said:
I was thinking of getting a bench vise to work on hubs. Can I use without bolting it down? I only have a office desk.
As with ericm979, I am baffled as to why you need a bench vise to work on hubs. It can be handy (though completely not necessary) to hold a cassette lock ring tool, but beyond that . . .

·
Registered
274 Posts
I guess you're referring to one of traditional methods of removing a freewheel, i.e: securing the removal tool in a bench vise and twisting the rim counterclockwise. Of course, it's useless if the bench vise isn't mounted to a workbench (I guess that's why it's called a "bench" vise).

My two previous experiences trying to muscle off a stuck freewheel with the bench vise were pretty useless, too. A search of the internet uncovered a much better method: you prop the wheel against a wall, cinch a large adjustable wrench on the freewheel removal tool, and step down on the wrench handle. Simple but effective. So far, it's worked every time.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Perhaps the OP is thinking about putting this axle vise insert into a vise. If you regularly work on hubs, a vise with this front/rear axle insert is exactly what you need. It's spring-loaded, so when you open the vise jaws, the insert opens right along with them. A cheap 3-inch jaw width clamp-on vise will do fine—you don't need a lot of clamping force or bench vise-like stability just to keep an axle from turning and hold up a bicycle wheel. I like my axle insert—best $10 I spent in a long time.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I've been doing hubs for nigh on 20 years and just recently learned about these axle vises. Needless to say, I haven't missed em in all them years.

Bench vices ARE good for removing stubborn freewheels tho. 4 hands are better'n 2...

M

·
Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
The only thing I use a bench vise for in bicycle repair is to hold the saw guide for cutting a threadless steerer.

Never had a freewheel/cassette removal problem. I just use an 18" 1/2 drive flex handle and the right size socket. Torque like you would not believe!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
If yer gonna try and take off freewheels, bolting it down is better'n screwing it down. If yer using it to hold axles, etc. screws should be fine.

HTH

M

·
Registered
289 Posts
steel515 said:
Can I use unwanted wooden desk in garage instead of a workbench?
My workbench is just that: an old wooden desk with a 4x8 sheet of plywood screwed on to the top. Works great and cost very little. Plywood optional, I just used it to increase the workspace.

A bench vise is useful for many things. For doing hub/pedal adjustments, I use a park tool insert similar to this one:

This is the AV-4, I think that mine is the AV-3. Got it in the clearance bin at LBS a few years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.