Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's have a testosterone fest....ladies, if you are on steroids, feel free to join....How much can you bench press, Squat, Lat pull?....anything weight training related...impress us all with either max load, or max reps at a specific rate.....let's hear it..

I'll start......my best bench ever was in the military, and the highest ever was 335.....anyone else???

Again, this is in fun...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
this is a cycling board

and bench pressing and lat pulls would do nothing but add unused weight. you may reign supreme at 335. haven't pumped serious weight since I was a rower in college. never was a great BPer anyhow as I somehow have really bad mechanics. Could squat and leg press, leg curl heaps though. could pull heaps on flat rows as well. but was more of a reps guy than a mx guy. I topped out around 250 on the BP but I think that was in High School.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
Let's have a testosterone fest....ladies, if you are on steroids, feel free to join....How much can you bench press, Squat, Lat pull?....anything weight training related...impress us all with either max load, or max reps at a specific rate.....let's hear it..

I'll start......my best bench ever was in the military, and the highest ever was 335.....anyone else???

Again, this is in fun...
Never could bench much. My rotators are not in good shape. When I do bench it's with relatively light weights and using dumbbells. If forced to bench using a standard Olympic bar I'd probably be able to do 225 today, but it would hurt. I've back squatted and deadlifted over 400 though. Couldn't do it today. Lat pulls are for sissies. Real men do weighted pullups.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
physasst said:

Again, this is in fun...
You may or may not have seen the size of the guns on me from the San Diego pics. I don't like to brag, but I've been known to lift small children overhead, place them on my shoulders, and walk 50 or more feet. I suppose that will pretty much end this thread right now.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Bench topped at 225 in my mid 20's. Had the state record in high school in the dead lift (for about a month). 455 @ 135 pounds.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Well, my current bench is maxed out at 0. Darn shoulder.

Back in my wrestling days I maxed out around 250. That's probably in the ballpark. I was never good on the bench or biceps, but my back was like iron, triceps were like rock, and I ruled at the neck machine!

And no, I was not a state champ, though I did once win a tournament in under 60 seconds total match time.

After not touching a weight for 18 years, let's just say my current max would be less.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
physasst said:

Again, this is in fun...

yeah, but what did you weigh?......either way thats alot of weight unless you're Shaq......I topped out at 250 weighing in just under 160......my event was keyed on speed and strength / weight so bulking up was not the objective.....I could do over 20 handstand pushups as well though I can't remember what my record was........could do an 11 flat 100m, not weight related but gotta go with my ace in the hole ........[insert manly grunt].....

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
mickey-mac said:
You may or may not have seen the size of the guns on me from the San Diego pics. I don't like to brag, but I've been known to lift small children overhead, place them on my shoulders, and walk 50 or more feet. I suppose that will pretty much end this thread right now.
I'll vouch......dudes crossed the street when MM was walking around SD to avoid having to pay admission to the Gun Show....

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
kpcw can bench 900 lb with one arm while reciting poetry.
I would say, and while Bono is giving him a pedicure......but I won't

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
neck and wrestling

big ups to the 18 and a half in collar!!!!! I with ya hoo.

held the ergometer record at my University. Can pull people for hours on a bike

(see RbR San Diego)

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
atpjunkie said:
big ups to the 18 and a half in collar!!!!! I with ya hoo.

Can pull people for hours on a bike....
Wow, that must be some neck you have to tow people on the bike with it!

I cut a wide draft myself, and have been known to tow people for literally minutes at speeds approaching 16 miles an hour.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
dr hoo said:
Well, my current bench is maxed out at 0. Darn shoulder.

Back in my wrestling days I maxed out around 250. That's probably in the ballpark. I was never good on the bench or biceps, but my back was like iron, triceps were like rock, and I ruled at the neck machine!

And no, I was not a state champ, though I did once win a tournament in under 60 seconds total match time.

After not touching a weight for 18 years, let's just say my current max would be less.
I may have asked you already, but I can't recall. What weight did you wrestle? I was at 119 (which went generously up to 121after turkey day festivities).

My best bench was NEVER over 190; probably closer to 180. It's been a long time. But, I could squat a boat load (don't remember the amount), and could leg press the stack. Of course, at 5'4", the leg press is a lot easier for me than with you full sized men; more leverage; smaller hinge.

Unfortunately, as time wore on, my weight has increased. During college, I rode at about 125 lbs. During my worst days of sloth and hedonism, I ballooned out to close to 200 (pretty fat for a short guy). I am now 150 +/- a few (depends on the season), and my body fat gets to 15% when I am REALLY working out. Usually closer to 17 or 18. Sort of a shetland clydsdale, if you will.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well

svend said:
yeah, but what did you weigh?......either way thats alot of weight unless you're Shaq......I topped out at 250 weighing in just under 160......my event was keyed on speed and strength / weight so bulking up was not the objective.....I could do over 20 handstand pushups as well though I can't remember what my record was........could do an 11 flat 100m, not weight related but gotta go with my ace in the hole ........[insert manly grunt].....

I weighed about 180 then, and I was cut, real good shape....now it would be less, probably around 240-250.....I weigh about 215 now...dropped 20 pounds since december. I've always had a linebackers sort of build, and several people have asked if I played linebacker in college. Back then I could do hundreds of pushups, ran a mile in under 6 minutes, mile and a half in 9:10....now, I'm getting better, but still not in great shape.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
morrison said:
I may have asked you already, but I can't recall. What weight did you wrestle?
I was our heavyweight my senior year. But that was because I was our biggest guy, and by the end of the season I was eating like a pig to stay at 200. And I started at 230, but that's what 4 hours of working out will do for a metabolism. Fun, because I was going against guys that CUT to get to 230.

:rolleyes:

Nothing like being the last guy out in a close dual, and giving away 30+ pounds to the other guy. Technique was my only hope. That and a nasty disposition.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
ooh boy, I love to brag :)

In high school, I weighed 135 and my 1 rep maximum flat bench was 215. I held the school record for chin ups at 37reps.

Now in my ripe old age of 29, I weigh 145 and could do one rep 225 last summer w/out a spotter. I haven't lifted much since then, so I'm probably pretty weak now. Last summer
I could also do 15 wide grip behind-the-neck chin ups (palms facing forward) with a 45lbs plate hanging from my belt.

Unfortunately, upper body strength does nothing for you in cycling.

My best squat/leg press is pathetic, probably less than 225 on the squat.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Bench press, bleah....

I was a distance runner.......who wanted upper body mass.

That being said....I ran a 2:26 Marathon as a junior in HS back in 1972......specificity baby, specificity.

Len

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Benching 250 right now, squats about the same (under powered weak legs), standing bicep curls are something around 110-115. When I started seriously roadbiking about a year and a few months ago my body muscle kinda shrunk down. I've lost 15 pounds of muscle but am actually more happy for it. Honestly, the ones that impress me the most at the gym aren't the heavy lifters but rather those who can bench press 50 or more reps with 100lbs on it. Besides being cut like Bruce Lee at the height of his career the guys and some gals are ripped beyond belief.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
No, but the muscle helps out for those who do a large variety of stuff. Definitely slows me down on the climbs but helps out in all the other junk I participate in (which unfortunately has been yard work for the past week or so)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts