Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Yeah, it should come out of the bottom of the top tube...it would be much smoother. The way it is doesn't make much sense.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Hydraulic disc brakes would solve this (and all other) problem(s).

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wrap it in camouflage tape
I'm more concerned with the sharper than normal bend, not the aesthetics.

On a new model frame it seems like a design flaw.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If the seatstays intersected the seat tube where the top tube does, it wouldn't be an issue. They must have had different engineering teams for each triangle.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
But it saves on the plastic fiber budget.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm more concerned with the sharper than normal bend, not the aesthetics.

On a new model frame it seems like a design flaw.

Are you concerned about functionality with that bend? I ask because I don't know details about mechanics, but LBS built a bike for me this winter that has exact same bend. Thought it might be a frame issues, but no...I can see pics of the bike on-line with no back bump.

If it's just aesthetics, it doesn't really bother me...actually never really pondered it until OP here focused on it. If it could create performance problems I'd be curious to know. Apparently I can have LBS correct my situation by doing cable shorten highlighted here.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you concerned about functionality with that bend?
yes. more so on the rear with there being slightly more cable drag.

yours is likely a common rookie lbs mistake of cutting the outer housing too long .

the one pictured looks un-fixable and possibly made worse by the direct mount brakes.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That doesn't look like it will solve the OP's problem. The housing already exits the top tube angled up.
It would reduce the bend, possibly enough to not even notice the cable from that angle.

But yeah, perhaps a different frame altogether if it's bothersome.

·
Registered
478 Posts
yes. more so on the rear with there being slightly more cable drag.

yours is likely a common rookie lbs mistake of cutting the outer housing too long .

the one pictured looks un-fixable and possibly made worse by the direct mount brakes.

Thanks. I'm going to get mine adjusted. Did a little research to understand issue of "cable drag" as it relates to this issue. Found the following from Sheldon Brown:

Blue Bicycle frame Line Font Musical instrument accessory

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to get mine adjusted. Did a little research to understand issue of "cable drag" as it relates to this issue. Found the following from Sheldon Brown:

View attachment 314973
I'd say that SB's 'too long' photo is just about perfect and his 'correct' photo is a bit short. Those are single pivot brakes, but adding a cm or so to the length of the housing will absolutely NOT add any friction or slop. No chance. Every team mechanic I know uses what many consider to be much too long of a loop going into the rear derailleur. SRAM wants to see 60-70mm of straight housing doing into the rear derailleur so you end up w/ a loop longer than 40cm many times. Never ever had any problems at all w/ that. Sheldon was probably using unlined brake housing back then. It's more important to have a smooth curve than the shortest piece of housing to reduce 'friction'.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
fixed... you are welcome...
You may now return to doing whatever it was that turned you on...:blush2:
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts