Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I buy a new American made bike from a LBS because I want to do the right thing...give the LBS business and support my country's economy. I go so far as to yank the non-American parts off and replace with American made. This is the second bike like this so far. I've had the bike since the beginning of April '06 until last weekend. An idiot sat up on me in the sprint and put me into the curb which trashed the frame. I fully expect to pay some type of cash for a replacement, but not to get a four finger proctology exam. The LBS says they think there is a type of replacement program. The word back is the 'replacement' program is %75 percent of the MSRP cost of the FULL bike. A full aluminum frame people, no carbon stays. So I've got to follow this up and write the American manufacturer to which they reply that the frame is the most expensive part of the bike and that I should expect a pricey reply from them. We all know that a full aluminum frame is not expensive. On top of that to suggest the full Ultegra gruppo and Ksyrium wheelset alone costs less than the aluminum frame.
So my answer? My money, my business. If it's inexpensive online or from Xiao Xen in Szechuan province, then they're getting my business.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
spokejunky said:
We all know that a full aluminum frame is not expensive.
I don't know that.

I don't even know what brand you are ranting about-a good rant ought to at least include the brand if not the shop.

BTW why in the world are you racing on something expensive; you don't really believe that money is going to make you go faster do you?

BTW2 a lot of USA made parts here;
Cannondale R1000
Full Ultegra 10
Fizik Arione Saddle
Neuvation R28 Aero Wheelset
Maxxis Courchevel tires

·
Registered
305 Posts
spokejunky said:
An idiot sat up on me in the sprint and put me into the curb which trashed the frame. I fully expect to pay some type of cash for a replacement, but not to get a four finger proctology exam.
You aren't being objective. The product wasn't defective, you crashed it. That this manufacturer is willing to give you a discount on a new bike should be praised, not chided.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
first of all, it might sound like a stupid question, but did you ask about replacement policies before you bought the bike?
second, why should the manufacturer, or LBS, or whoever, pay for your mistake? OK, so some guy sat up on you in a sprint, not quite your mistake, but even so. I don't like to use the common bike-car analogy, but in this case I will. if you bought a new car, then a couple of months down the line you drove it into a tree, would you expect the car maker to pay for the damage? If you buy a mobile telefone and drop it in a puddle of water, would you expect the phone company or manufacturer to replace it for you?
if you can' t afford to lose a bike in a race, don't race it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rant

I thought I was buying something inexpensive to replace. How many American made aluminum frames do you know are $1000+ after a 25-30% discount? I'm not out to smash a rep for one instance. That's why the names aren't here. I apologize, SRAM hadn't released their gruppo yet.

I did look at the warranty for which it has basically what all warranties have for non-titanium frames: manufacturer defects replaced all others no dice.

Common bike-car analogy: Given the circumstances, his insurance company would've replaced the bike frame and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Same goes with a group ride on the ride it replace it. Are you going to ask the guy who crossed wheels with you in the friendly Saturday morning ride to buy you a new Litespeed Vortex?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Strange- I don't think any of my bikes have any American-made parts on them. Aside from an American/made frame, what else is there to rip off and replace?

I'm riding a French frame and wheels, Italian tires, Japanese drivetrain, Asian bar... even my mtn bike is Italian-made. I seriously cannot think of anything US-made for parts or clothing... except maybe some Park tools?

No offense, but aside from mountain biking, the US isn't exactly known for their bike parts. Sure, there are some great custom/boutique frame builders, Trek, Serotta, and Cannondale,etc... but that is about it. What other American parts are there?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Could this be a Troll ?
This whole thing is rather silly.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
So you buy a new American made bike from an American LBS, and you yank the non-American parts off and replace with American made. God bless America. Then you crash it because an idiot sat up on you in the sprint and put you into the curb which trashed the frame.

I just have to know: was the idiot American?

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
here's a little piece of advice

racin' is bumpin' and bumpin' is crashin'
if ya can't afford to crash, race a cheaper bike. check most crit rigs.
Mfrs don't warranty crashes, driving into the garage with the bike on the roof, doing 10' wheelie drops on a roadie, etc.....
again be thankful they offered you a deal. If you were out for a drive and somebody stopped in front of you could you send your car back to the mfr for a 'crash replacement"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rant

I see posts come up every once in a while that list reasons to support your LBS and in my case American made. Fly the flag, yay. I jump on the wagon and decide to give the LBS and my country a try. Call me naive. The purpose of the post is to let the flag waivers know you're not always right. It'd be great to have a list of those shops and manufacturers that do you right, but such is life. Buyer beware and now I am. Working towards my 2000 posts or...maybe just getting off the computer and riding my bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
They are ripping you off...

I wouldn't stand for the discount. I think that is just crazy. I would tell them to shove thier discount and go pay full price somewhere else. This time go all Carbon fiber. that way you can pass everyone in the sprints without needing to draft. I do it all the time.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
What sort of manufacturer would be fool enough to offer some sort of reimbursement for race crashes. I can just see BMW doing this.
Sorry, racing means taking chances. I have yet to destroy one of my frames, but I once landed on some poor suckers Waterford, and snapped the top and down tubes.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
they did do you right

that is the issue you are missing. If you crashed a Pinarello or a Colnago I don't think they'd offer a crash replacement at all. Guys get micro cracks in $3000 plus CF frames and are lucky to get a deal on a replacement. You crashed yours (your fault - you chose to race and to choose to race is to choose to crash) and the company is nice enough to give you a deal. what were you expecting cost plus 10%. Heck continental pros don't get dealslike that sometimes. I got a better idea, get off the computer and sell your bike, find a hobby with less risk and less damagable equipment.

Dear Louisville Slugger,
I broke my bat trying to hit a knuckle ball. Can you sell me another real cheap?

Dear Calloway,
I missed a 3 ft put that would have won me my first Am tourney. In frustration I slammed the putter back into the bag and bent the shaft. Can ya hook a guy up?

Dear Harley Davidson,
So I'm racin' this rice burner up Mt. Palomar. The guy doesn't realize bend 6 has a double kink and gets on the brakes really hard. To avoid him I fly off the road and total my ride.
Can I have another at cost plus 10?

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike.

not sure what the big fuss about a US made bike was to begin with, seeing as in todays globalized economy it means jack didley, unless you're buying it from a guy down the road who does custom frames, but whatever...

if it was me, i'd look for a brand that has a crash replacement program, or go with https://bikesdirect.com

Good luck with the next bike, and God bless the United Nations!

spokejunky said:
So I buy a new American made bike from a LBS because I want to do the right thing...give the LBS business and support my country's economy. I go so far as to yank the non-American parts off and replace with American made. This is the second bike like this so far. I've had the bike since the beginning of April '06 until last weekend. An idiot sat up on me in the sprint and put me into the curb which trashed the frame. I fully expect to pay some type of cash for a replacement, but not to get a four finger proctology exam. The LBS says they think there is a type of replacement program. The word back is the 'replacement' program is %75 percent of the MSRP cost of the FULL bike. A full aluminum frame people, no carbon stays. So I've got to follow this up and write the American manufacturer to which they reply that the frame is the most expensive part of the bike and that I should expect a pricey reply from them. We all know that a full aluminum frame is not expensive. On top of that to suggest the full Ultegra gruppo and Ksyrium wheelset alone costs less than the aluminum frame.
So my answer? My money, my business. If it's inexpensive online or from Xiao Xen in Szechuan province, then they're getting my business.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
atpjunkie said:
racin' is bumpin' and bumpin' is crashin'
if ya can't afford to crash, race a cheaper bike. check most crit rigs.
Come to any race out here in Boulder and you'll see plenty of high zoot bikes (even in lower cats) racing crits. I think they're nuts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.