Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of last week my aunt was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Today she went in to get a large tumor removed and even afterward there will be many treatments of radiation and chemo.

With that said, I've been riding my bike for no more than a month now but am interested in training and possibly doing a local benefit race for cancer. The problem is I have never done one and don't even know where to begin. I google'd it and really only came up with the livestrong race but am curious if there are others. If so how would I go about finding them\registering? I would also like to know the amount training needed for rides like these. I have done a 5K benefit run before and it was a pretty mellow jog through the whole thing, is this the same for a benefit ride? Any help is appreciated from those of you with experience in this area.

Oh and I'm located in Sacramento but have no problem travelling to the bay area or somewhere that is only a days drive.


Thank You,

-Chad
 

· Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your aunt was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Livestrong is one option but I am not very familiar with how they organize training for their events. But I would encourage you to check out Team in Training.

https://www.teamintraining.com

They do fund raising to fight blood cancers. 75% of what you raise goes towards fighting blood cancers. The other 25% goes toward your training/program costs such as your air fare to the event. They have a chapter in the Sacramento area. Coming up it looks like they have these events:

Honolulu Century Ride Honolulu, HI - September 28, 2008
Sea Gull Century Salisbury, MD - October 4, 2008
El Tour de Tucson presented by Diamond Ventures Tucson, AZ - November 22, 2008

I have done El Tour de Tucson and its a great ride. The good thing about Team in Training is that they will take a novice and you ride with a group of other people of the same skill and teach you everything you need to know. You still have to do all of the training but they give you a lot of guidance. I did Team in Training a few years ago and it was a very good experience with a lot of camaraderie. There are other charity rides out there too which require less fund raising. I would recommend that you go to one of the info meetings for Team in Training, if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. You'll get a lot of info about what it is like and there isn't any pressure to join.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top