Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone!
My name is Matt and I am a fledgling cyclist. I have a Centurion bike right now that works for my basic needs and occasional rides into the hills in the San Francisco Bay Area.
I am looking at buying a Benotto bike with new Shimano parts (I'll find out tomorrow exactly which parts) and I'm hoping to upgrade it to be a really great bike (probably not for racing, though). Any advice? Is it worth $350? What should I look for?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
Benotto's were made in Mexico in the 80's. Nice looking, but cheap tubesets. I don't know if any were made with 130mm rear spacing. For $350, you can't expect much. Even if it's 7 speed w/ downtube shifters, it'll get you around. Make sure that the wheels are in good shape.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
No soup for you

Matt Auerbach said:
Hello,
I was fitted today and I found this bike that may fit me and seems to have good parts:

http://www.craigslist.org/pen/bik/149902292.html

Could anyone assess this and tell me if this is worth it?

Thanks,
Matt
It's "worth it" but not necessarily for you. Bridgestone RB1's have a bit of a cult following and are more collector-type stuff.

For a new rider just wanting to put on the miles on decent equipment, that's a lot of dough. You may then bang it up, and will no doubt wear out (I mean, you are riding after all) various 7-speed parts where replacements, although widely available, aren't just sitting on the shelf at your LBS.

This would be a good "second bike" for the cool factor. But for your main ride, you can either spend 1/2 as much or, for $900, can get something pretty sweet and 15 years newer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Benotto's were made in Mexico in the 80's. Nice looking, but cheap tubesets.
I bought a used Benotto in 1989 as my first 'racing bike' when I was in college. It was a fun little bike with some real old Campy parts on it. It didn't even last a year. Was out on a training ride and the bike started feeling 'mushy'. The seat tube had sheared off right at the bottom bracket shell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.