Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been lazy. Haven't done a proper tuneup since last year. Got around to it this weekend and noticed my RD isn't lined up properly. The lower pulley is pushing out about 1/4" or so.

I took off the RD and the derailleur hanger and compared the hanger to an extra from my mountain bike (which looks similar in shape). On a completely flat surface, I can't detect any differences between the two and everything seems to be flat with no bends in the surface of the hanger.

I don't have an extra hanger for this bike to test it, and I'm not quite sure how to get one. It's a Chinese carbon frame from 2011 I got from Flyxii, but can't remember the model number or anything.

Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I don't know how u ride that without a chain, it must have fell off somewhere.
You only go downhill?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow, that looks like a hot mess...

If you don't own a derailleur alignment tool to straighten your hangar, you need to take it to a shop. You also need to check your high and low limit on that RD.

There are tons of video's on youtube showing how to adjust derailleurs (assuming you don't already know how). Straightening your hangar is easy if you have the tool. Impossible if you don't ( and no, you can't check it by laying it on a flat surface or comparing to another hangar).

Here is how the Park alignment tool works. These are an excellent investment. ~$60

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Here is a video showing how to adjust your RD, including the high and low limits.

A little tip for adjusting your high and low limits.

It's *much* easier to do with the wheel and cassette installed, but the chain removed and shifting cable disconnected. This way you don't have cable tension or the chain fighting against you. Just use your hand to push the derailleur to it's max deflection in both directions and use the "H" and "L" screws on the derailleur to make sure it's not going beyond the outer cogs.

·
Registered
20,807 Posts
I don't have an extra hanger for this bike to test it, and I'm not quite sure how to get one. It's a Chinese carbon frame from 2011 I got from Flyxii, but can't remember the model number or anything.
Why not contact Flyxii and ask them?
CONTACT US - ShenZhen Flyxii Spor

FYI
Cyclocross specific chinese carbon - Page 23
Nick @ Wheels Mfg confirmed the #148 hanger will fit the fr-602. I suppose that means it will also fit the following flyxii frames: FR-315, FR-322, FR-316, FR-319, FR-308 and FR-601, since these all take the same hanger.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Here is a video showing how to adjust your RD, including the high and low limits.

A little tip for adjusting your high and low limits.

It's *much* easier to do with the wheel and cassette installed, but the chain removed and shifting cable disconnected. This way you don't have cable tension or the chain fighting against you. Just use your hand to push the derailleur to it's max deflection in both directions and use the "H" and "L" screws on the derailleur to make sure it's not going beyond the outer cogs.

Agree. I installed a new Sram Red RD last Friday using this same technique and almost got it spot on after also installing a new chain. Needed just a little fine tuning with the barrel adjuster. BTW, be sure to adjust your the B screw also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.