Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long-story short, bike shop recently did total bike tune-up including replaced drivetrain and first few hundred miles on bike, chain has dropped going from 53 to 39 on at least 1/2 dozen occasions. Didn't want to bring it back in as I had just had it in there for ten days and had adapted to it, learning how to pick it back up by shifting back in to 39, until my duathlon on Sunday where it dropped and attempting to bring it back up in to 39 resulted in a bent derailleur hanger.

This had been happening SINCE the totally rebuilt drivetrain.

I figured that since it was happening when they gave me the bike back to me, that this was as good as they could get it. It's not a new bike.

Luckily for me, thanks to the benefits of steel, they were able to fix it and they fixed it the day I brought it in. Was it wrong to expect them to fix the bent derailleur hanger gratis and replace the damaged chain? They put a "chain keeper" on the seat tube, which I wouldn't have had an issue with them charging me for, but since it came to me like this, when the drivetrain was rebuilt, I figure they bear some responsibility.

It may be a very costly repair for them as it has me quite sore and I now realize that with the hard use of the bike, I need to get another. Like I said it's not new.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
You may be in a bit of a spot as it sounds like you might not have made it clear to the LBS that there was an chain-drop issue with downshifting up front after you got the bike back. If they did the repair, did a quick test ride, and didn't discover the issue, they might have had no inkling that this would have cropped up. That may say something about the effectiveness of their post-tune test riding, but once you get the bike back, the onus is on you to let the LBS know they may have been asleep at the switch. Now, if they handed the bike back to you and said, "we tried adjusting the cable tension and limit screws, but the chain keeps wanting to drop off the small ring on downshifts," and you said, "Well, I guess that'll have to do," then they've pretty much covered their a$$es. In either of the above 2 scenarios, I as a customer would not expect much ownership of the issue on the part of the LBS.

Now if this happened on the very first ride after you got the bike back, my feelings wouldbe different. But since you were aware of the problem and didn't contact your LBS about it as soon as you noticed it, they didn't have the opportunity to make things right, and shouldn't have to face the consequences of your decision down the line.

·
Super Moderator
41,447 Posts
gebbyfish said:
Long-story short, bike shop recently did total bike tune-up including replaced drivetrain and first few hundred miles on bike, chain has dropped going from 53 to 39 on at least 1/2 dozen occasions. Didn't want to bring it back in as I had just had it in there for ten days and had adapted to it, learning how to pick it back up by shifting back in to 39, until my duathlon on Sunday where it dropped and attempting to bring it back up in to 39 resulted in a bent derailleur hanger.

This had been happening SINCE the totally rebuilt drivetrain.

I figured that since it was happening when they gave me the bike back to me, that this was as good as they could get it. It's not a new bike.

Luckily for me, thanks to the benefits of steel, they were able to fix it and they fixed it the day I brought it in. Was it wrong to expect them to fix the bent derailleur hanger gratis and replace the damaged chain? They put a "chain keeper" on the seat tube, which I wouldn't have had an issue with them charging me for, but since it came to me like this, when the drivetrain was rebuilt, I figure they bear some responsibility.

It may be a very costly repair for them as it has me quite sore and I now realize that with the hard use of the bike, I need to get another. Like I said it's not new.

Sorry for the rant.
Wait, I'm a bit confused: if the chain kept dropping on the front, how did the (rear?)derailleur hanger get bent? And what damage did the chain sustain?

By "the chain kept dropping on the front," I assume you meant that it would overshift when you shifted from your big to small rings, throwing the chain off to the left of the small ring. Do I have that right? And you being able to shift it back to the 39; you have a triple up front?

Regardless, if you just had the drivetrain replaced, they should've dialed in the shifting, and it shouldn't have needed a chainkeeper, unless the old front derailleur was also shot, in which case they should've told you. Age of the bike itself shouldn't matter, since these were new drivetrain components.

BTW, if they fixed the hanger, did they just eyeball it, or did they get out the derailleur alignment gauge? If it's an older bike, it's quite likely that the hanger has seen a number of alignment-changing whacks over the years, and could benefit from a proper re-set.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Kind of Agree with Fast Eddie..

Assuming you were using it correctly (e.g. not totally crosschained)...

The shop's work wasn't good because the chain should not drop off the 39 ring like that. It should have been adjusted correctly. You should have taken it back or adjusted it yourself. Unfortunately, the consequences were more significant that you expected (but fortunately, not too outrageous.)

I'd let the shop know their work wasn't good from the get go and tell them I expect to pay for the chain since my negligence contributed to the problem, but not the derailleur hanger realignment since fixing that is not an out of pocket expense for them. They should also adjust the FD so that it works right, every time, without a chainwatcher.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xxl said:
Wait, I'm a bit confused: if the chain kept dropping on the front, how did the (rear?)derailleur hanger get bent? And what damage did the chain sustain?

By "the chain kept dropping on the front," I assume you meant that it would overshift when you shifted from your big to small rings, throwing the chain off to the left of the small ring. Do I have that right? And you being able to shift it back to the 39; you have a triple up front?

BTW, if they fixed the hanger, did they just eyeball it, or did they get out the derailleur alignment gauge? If it's an older bike, it's quite likely that the hanger has seen a number of alignment-changing whacks over the years, and could benefit from a proper re-set.
Derailleur hanger got bent when I tried to pick the chain up onto the 39 with the front derailleur something I learned to do on slower training rides, but obviously in the heat of the race, I did too fast. The chain bunched up, pulled the rear derailleur up and then bent the hanger. I do not have a triple, but had been able to do it while training. I am not sure if they just "eyeballed it". It is definitely an older bike and I guess that I figured that the chain fallin off was the best they could do, but I didn't ask if it was the best they could do. My bad. It was certainly happening from when I first picked it up and 20/20 hindsight, clearly I should have called, but I wanted to be out riding, not bringing the bike in, that had just been in for ten days. I'm not sure what damage the chain incurred. I took them at their word. The mechanic who told me that is my patient, so I figured it was damaged.

·
Super Moderator
41,447 Posts
gebbyfish said:
Derailleur hanger got bent when I tried to pick the chain up onto the 39 with the front derailleur something I learned to do on slower training rides, but obviously in the heat of the race, I did too fast. The chain bunched up, pulled the rear derailleur up and then bent the hanger. I do not have a triple, but had been able to do it while training. I am not sure if they just "eyeballed it". It is definitely an older bike and I guess that I figured that the chain fallin off was the best they could do, but I didn't ask if it was the best they could do. My bad. It was certainly happening from when I first picked it up and 20/20 hindsight, clearly I should have called, but I wanted to be out riding, not bringing the bike in, that had just been in for ten days. I'm not sure what damage the chain incurred. I took them at their word. The mechanic who told me that is my patient, so I figured it was damaged.
Well, just from your description of things, I'd be asking the mechanic about this, because I don't think you're to blame. If the chain was falling off, and that was the best they could do, they should've told you; the burden wasn't on you to say "hey, did you do your job properly." And, really, unless the front derailleur system was toast, there shouldn't be any reason they couldn't get it to work, regardless of the bike's age. (FWIW, plenty of folk ride vintage stuff just fine). Me, I'd be asking the mechanic to explain why you shouldn't be taking your bike to a different, i.e., competent, shop.

Granted, you didn't help matters by continuing to ride, but would it have made a difference if the thing crapped out like that the first time you shifted?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
I don't get it...why is the chain dropping off? I guess I have never had a chain come off for a reason that wasn't repairable...if everything is adjusted properly and the chain is still dropping of then I suspect the chainline is way off. are the front and rear components and shifters compatible? New bike or old bike should make no difference...you say the replaced the drivetrain....that is new....if they replaced the drivetrain and it doesn't work, then it is their fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.