Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wrenching a bit on my 2005 Felt F65 bike last night, mainly cleaning the drivetrain. Took off the chain, has one of those snap-on, snap-off chains on it. Dropped it in some Orange degreaser. Took off rear wheel, commenced to scrubbing the cassette.

Put the wheel back on, and it wouldn't sit in the dropouts correctly. The skewer doesn't appear to be bent. Frame has a carbon seatstay setup. Frame and bike have not been crashed, dropped, hit, anything. I just bought it in November, and have about 2500 km on it since then. Half of that in the trainer. Why would the wheel not sit back in the dropouts correctly?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,437 Posts
Please describe what you mean by "correctly". "Correctly" could mean 18 different things.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Bent axle??

with the wheel off the bike, remove the skewer.

Place the wheel on the ground in a vertical position, just like it would be if on the bike and the bike were up right.

Turn the axle with your thumb and pointer finger. Does it turn smoothly or does it kind of bob up and down. "Bob" is a technical bike wrench term....

Placing a bike on a trainer that attatches to the rear axle (over the skewer) and over-tightening can lead to a bent axle...

Just a wild guess, based on a few clues given. Money back guarantee if I am wrong...

again...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post a pic later on of the issue.

By "correctly", I meant that when the wheel is seated into the drop-outs, the wheel is not equi-distant from each seat stay. It leans to the right, looking at the bike of the bike.

I actually have this crappy old trainer from Supergo, cause I'm a cheap-a$$, and it has been the source of my discontent since I received it as a gift back in 2003. It's time to be retired. It's screwed up my last piece of equipment.

I feel that the wheel axle may be what's out of whack. Since we're not talking about the skewer here, this will involve a trip to the shop, cause I'm no wheel builder. Could this be an excuse to upgrade my wheelset???? :D (currently running stock Alex 220 A Class wheels, fine for what I need them for)

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
Sounds like a dish problem

ashpelham said:
when the wheel is seated into the drop-outs, the wheel is not equi-distant from each seat stay. It leans to the right, looking at the bike of the bike.
Take the wheel out, flip it around (cogs on the left) and put it in the frame. If the wheel is off to the other side then it means that the wheel is not properly dished. An easy fix for an experienced mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts