Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,659 Posts
fixable. i use a crescent wrench and a piece of thin (2-3mm) steel plate against the outside of the rim. just pull it straight, using the steel or whatever to protect the braking surface of the rim.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I spy with my little eye

mjengstrom said:
I hit a pot hole in a group ride and bent the side of my rim. Its also out of true a little bit. Its a Mavic Ksyrium SL rear wheel. Can this be fixed at a LBS? Is it easy?
From what I see in that photo, there is actually a significant crack in the rim's sidewall on the "rubber side" due to the deformation of the aluminum. If that is correct, I would say NOT fixable. If there is no crack, then it's fixable, though your braking surface is likely to never be as smooth as the original.

·
9,790 Posts
Depends. We can't see the side view. Is the rim flat at that spot? I agree with the post above, too. Is that a crack or a scratch?

If the rim is flat at that point (or cracked), replace it. You'll have a hop forever.

If it's still round and just scratched, then do as mentioned at the top - Crescent wrench.

EDIT: Just as an FYI, if you send in a wheel to Mavic to be rebuilt, they COMPLETELY rebuild it. New rim, spokes, axle, bearings, and freehub body (if it's the rear). The only thing they re-use is the hub body. How much depends on the dealer. $200-$300 typically for a rear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know there is hope. That is just a scratch. It does bow out slightly on the braking surface just below where the dent is and causes a slight thump, thump, thump... when I brake. But it seems to roll ok. I went for a ride yesterday and didnt really notice it except for braking when I hear the thumping.

If I send it to Mavic, any ideas on how long they typically take? May look into doing that in the off season depending on how the fix goes. I may see if my LBS can do it first (I dont have all the right tools).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.