Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Ive been thinking... I mean drinking...

And I was wondering how many would be interested in a group buy of Homebrew Chain Lube. Now... I know what you all are thinking.... "You drunk a**hole, i can do it myself".

Yes your right, you can. But you dont. Why? Because you need to make like 3 gallons of it. So what about a Lounge Group Buy? Something like a half-quart, or quart of chain lube for some amount of money...

Thoughts?

·
What the Hell is going on
5,147 Posts
First. If you call it "NooB Sauce" I'm in.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I'm still working off my 1st quart of Mobil One and the pint of mineral spirits, 3 years later.

I make it 3 ounces at time, where'd you get the idea you need to make gallons?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
you'll have to talk Dave into using his employee discount to do the shipping in order to come out ahead.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
noob sauce it needs to be! With 3 bikes in the rotation plus the G/F and kids bikes I go through a crap load of lube.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Homebrew is so cheap to make it's not worth shipping IMHO.

I can make a 5 year supply for 5 bucks.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
terry b said:
I'm still working off my 1st quart of Mobil One and the pint of mineral spirits, 3 years later.

I make it 3 ounces at time, where'd you get the idea you need to make gallons?
that's what i do. i'm no engineer and even I figured this one out

(actually, i make up 20 oz. at a time and transfer to an old lube bottle for use....)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I'm with terry on this one. I make a few ounces at a time (usually 3-6), not really understanding the bulk manufacturing thing....

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
How do you make it?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
uzziefly said:
How do you make it?
Roughly four parts OMS (oderless mineral spirits) and one part motor oil (I prefer 50wt, YMMV). Mix. Done.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Roughly four parts OMS (oderless mineral spirits) and one part motor oil (I prefer 50wt, YMMV). Mix. Done.
Where do I get the OMS from? Motor oil? Anything would work right I suppose?

Now, where the heck do I get so little motor oil from?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
uzziefly said:
Where do I get the OMS from? Motor oil? Anything would work right I suppose?

Now, where the heck do I get so little motor oil from?
If you don't have a car, find someone who does, buy the oil and give them the leftovers. It's still worth the time & money.

I use a 2:1 concoction myself. I've heard anything from 2:1-4:1 for the ratio of oil:spirits. It has worked just fine for me and I've saved a lot of money.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
JustTooBig said:
VaughnA said:
I use a 2:1 concoction myself. I've heard anything from 2:1-4:1 for the ratio of oil:spirits. It has worked just fine for me and I've saved a lot of money.
One of you is teh Fail.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
OMS and mobile 1.. in a ratio of 4 to 1 sounds interesting.

Heck for the price of one bottle of pedro's or similar lube you can get yourself around 2 quarts of homebrew.

Now my question is how clean is this stuff and does it actually work well?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
VaughnA said:
If you don't have a car, find someone who does, buy the oil and give them the leftovers. It's still worth the time & money.

Yeah I guess I could do that but so far, people here usually just go to the gas station to pump gas instead.

And, I don't wanna be stuck with that much motor oil either.

As far as the spirits go? Auto parts store as well maybe?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Uzzie: Auto parts store for a qt of motor oil. OMS is frequently used as a paint thinner, so a home improvement/hardware/paint store is a good bet.

ZoSo: I love the stuff. The OMS serves a dual purpose. First, it acts as a solvent, so will help clean the chain. It also carries the oil (lube) into the chain where it needs to be to do its job.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
NUTT said:
One of you is teh Fail.
The ratio isn't that important from what I understand. The mineral spirits are just a carrier to thin the lube enough to get into the nooks & crannies, it then evaporates leaving the oil behind.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Sweet! I think I shall give this stuff a try!

I'm also thinking that used as a bath... taking the chain off and soaking it in the mix you could clean the chain much more effectively.. Anyone ever try this?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Now I wonder how much it would cost since gas here costs like erm, $1.10 a Liter, making it about $3.80 per gallon. So, erm, well I guess it's still cheaper than getting a bottle of lube from Finish Line.

Thanks guys.

//Sorry to kinda hijack your thread Bent!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts