Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budget for a new bike is $3k. Frame is more important to me than components, but 105 is the minimum quality level I'm interested in. I'm a Shimano rider, and I don't want to switch to SRAM. What's the best bike (stiffest, fastest, lightest, strongest) bike that comes with 105.

Also, I like the idea of the new press-fit BB. If only the TCR Advanced came with 105 kit.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
If $3k is your limit you can find carbon Ultegra equiped bikes. Specialized isn't known for low prices but the Roubaix Comps at our shop have full Ultegra, full carbon forks, and retail for $3200.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
If you want something unique that you will not find many on the road, check out the Cinelli Best Of from Wrenchscience, it's on clearance. Ultegra equipped will be $3600, which I realize over your budget, but you will get that exclusivity feeling (which I realize has nothing to do with performance but if it makes you feel good...)

This frame also has all the latest "trendy" bits, like BB86 press fit bb, tapered head tube 1-1/8 to 1-1/2, internal cable routing, if you're looking for those sort of things.

The frame has an integrated seatpost too, which some like, but some will not because you can't use any regular 3rd party seatpost unless you saw off the integrated seatpost and put a clamp on it (which is allowable on this frame).

Weight-wise, it's a little bit heavy (at 17.28 lbs for Ultegra equipped) for this price, probably a pound heavier compared to other highend bikes in this price range, but honestly the difference between a 16-lb and 17-lb bike is pretty much zero; your body weight alone can fluctuate more than 1 lb on any given ride ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was looking for a 105 or Ultegra bike for training toward my 2013 mtb endurance race goals. Past bikes owned include Calfees, Litespeeds, Orbeas, etc., but for this particular need it was a lightweight carbon comfortable bike that didn't break the bank. I'm a Shimano guy and understand SRAM is lighter and works great, but my bike tests pointed me back toward Shimano. This is what I purchased....

2012 Scott CR1 Team weighed 17.4 pounds and cost $1200 (brand new leftover from dealer). Sold the heavy oem wheels and tires for $300, went tubeless with Bike Hub Store 23mm wide rims and lost about a pound of rotating weight but put me at +200 dollars. So now I'm in it $1400 and weighs 16.4 pounds. Tossed the heavy saddle and put on my crusty worn out Fizik Antares braided carbon which got rid of about 100 grams, a Williams Maxim ACS bar (100 grams came off, cost me $75), an Ultegra cassette cost $45 new from ebay and saved, gosh, a lot from the Tiagra 12-30, a Performance OS stem for $20 and saved about 50 grams. I'm in it about $1495 and my 105 equipped tubeless 16 pound road bike fits my needs and came in way under budget.

I'm done spending money on Dura Ace and full Ultegra bikes. Money goes toward great fitting frame and nice light stiff comfortable wheels and tires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With a budget of approx. $3k, and the end of the year upon us, I think your options are wide open. When I was looking a couple of weeks ago at my LBS, they had most if not all of their 2012 Trek stock on close out. For under $3k, I was looking at the Madone 5.2, which had full Ultegra group. If you want to go with the re-designed 2013 Madone, it will run you about $3,400 give or take. Cannondale Supersix and Felt are also very good options. I decided on the Tarmac Pro SL4... broke my budget a bit, but like some laws, they are meant to be broken! Good luck, let us know what comes of your decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cervelo R3

My budget for a new bike is $3k. Frame is more important to me than components, but 105 is the minimum quality level I'm interested in. I'm a Shimano rider, and I don't want to switch to SRAM. What's the best bike (stiffest, fastest, lightest, strongest) bike that comes with 105.

Also, I like the idea of the new press-fit BB. If only the TCR Advanced came with 105 kit.
I bet you could get a 2012 Team Ultegra for pretty close to that... otherwise the 2013 R3 is available in 105 trim. World class bike with affordable components.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I'm in the avoid camp to avoid pressfits - especially since Shimano doesn't really sell them native, so it's adapters, and no advantage.

3K should be an ultegra-level bike. Check out Neuvation, too.

The 'best' bike is one that fits you and your style of riding well. There's not a Felt/Giant/Cannondale/Trek/whatever answer to that question that's universal to everyone.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.