Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to get a smaller digital camera for the back pocket for a few months now. It is now quite apparent that I am unable to make a decision on my own so I put it to you: what have been your good and bad experiences with point and shoots?

I've looked at the olumpus stylus 300, nikon coolpix 3100, and the sony P72 amongst others: basically 3 MP machines costing around $300. I like the idea of a weatherproof housing (such as the olympus) but that sliding lens cover/power switch makes me a tad nervous.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I went with the pentax OptioS

I went with the pentax OptioS. It is smaller than most of the ones you listed and is also 3MP. I keep it in an Altoids tin like the add shows, and it protects it from jarring or falling. I even take it skiing. They go for $299 now and take great pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look at Canon

I have a Canon S400, but at 4 million MP, it is overkill for your intended use. I have seen and read only good reviews about its even smaller cousin, the SD 100. Canon recently came out with an upgrade, the SD 110, and the SD 100 can be purchased for a little over $200.

I have been very satisfied with Canon optics and ease of use.

Might be worth looking into.

John

·
Registered
132 Posts
myette10 said:
I've been looking to get a smaller digital camera for the back pocket for a few months now. It is now quite apparent that I am unable to make a decision on my own so I put it to you: what have been your good and bad experiences with point and shoots?

I've looked at the olumpus stylus 300, nikon coolpix 3100, and the sony P72 amongst others: basically 3 MP machines costing around $300. I like the idea of a weatherproof housing (such as the olympus) but that sliding lens cover/power switch makes me a tad nervous.

check Minolta DiMAGE Xt, it hides lenses inside
Pretty much what you'd wanna for riding 3.2MP sigarette pack point and click camera with fast start up time, read online reviews. They normally go ~300-350, but I've seen prices online 190-250$ in places like computer geeks or bestag.com (http://www.bestag.com/midixtdica.html), check online serch engines like Yahoo shopping or froogal for best price.

I love mine, the only problem my wife liked it too, and she isn't good at sharing, I might need to get enother one oh well.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Sony DSCP8

myette10 said:

I picked up the DSCP8 in November and have been very happy with it. It's 3.2 megapixels and the lithium battery has good life. It's small enough to get lost in a jersey pocket and fits in the front pocket of a pair of shorts or jeans. Although the list price is $400, I found one or two on-line shops selling it at $300.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Canon A70

myette10 said:

Bought a Canon A70 (3.2 megapixel) from KEH about a month ago. Ran about $250 Excellent quality for P&S, but also has complete manual options (and tV, aV and whatnot) as well as a low-grade digital video option. Fits in the palm of my hand.

Like it because it's a P&S most of the time, but a decent camera with manual and partial manual settings when I want to to be.

I've been carrying it around with me on an off the bike since I bought it.

Side note: KEH is the only camera place that I'd buy from on-line. Very reputable, selling both used and new. Good service, fast shipping, and when they say a lense is like new, they mean it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have had the Nikon coolpix 3100 for the past 6 months and could not be any happier with it. It fits into my front pocket of jeans very easily and I know carry it everywhere, great for catching those unexpected moments with the kids... It has a ton of features but for the most part I just use the fully automatic setting and the camera uses the settings that are best for the condiions.. Makes it easy to take great pics.. On a side note I have recently been bringing my digital pic to Costco for developing. The pics that the Nikon takes are as good as a 35mm camera. Costco is charging .14 per picture. Not a bad deal considering you can take a ton of digital pics and choose the best ones to be printed at Costco. Its much cheaper than doing it yourself. I have seen the Coolpix as low as 250.00 after rebates at Best Buy.

·
Breakin' Stuff
439 Posts
I second that opinion of the Nikon Coolpix...the newer ones can be had cheap. Not the absolute thinnest camera, but the pictures and ease of use make up for it. hey, it's still REALLY small!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
3rd for the Nikon.

I have a 4300 that on it's best setting is a little bit of an overkill. You should be able to find the 3100 @ your price point. Easy to use, great pics. My only complaint-a plastic lense cover that is a PITA to take off/on while riding. I generally just keep it off and put a filter on the lense to protect it. Check out www.bwayphoto.com I got a great deal there.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Kram59 said:
I have a 4300 that on it's best setting is a little bit of an overkill. You should be able to find the 3100 @ your price point. Easy to use, great pics. My only complaint-a plastic lense cover that is a PITA to take off/on while riding. I generally just keep it off and put a filter on the lense to protect it. Check out www.bwayphoto.com I got a great deal there.
Bway photo has and is known for listing items on their website that they do not have in stock, and not informing you until days or weeks later, so be careful. A lot of online digital photo retailers are quick devious, and I'd steer clear anything that looks too good of a deal to be true.

Check out www.bhphotovideo.com . When I lived in New York I bought everything through them and had zero problems.

Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
I STRONGLY second this choice

This, IMHO, is THE cyclist-friendy camera. Deck of cards small, internal zoom so nothing sticks out, automatic lens cover so you can't scratch it--sweet. It also takes great pictures, has a HILARIOUS amount of features, and can take up to a 512 mb card, so it will literally take like 1000 hi-res pictures. Did I mention it will take movies? Or that you can use it as a spy camera? It never ends. I paid like $240, plus $70 for a 256 mb card.

It will change you life. You will learn how to love again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.