Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm in search of the best-bang-for-the-buck, no-kidding aero wheels.
This is what I have on my list so far:

Flashpoint 40 (38mm)- not too $, 1625g
Flashpoint 60 (60mm)- not too $, 1890g heavy
HED Jet C2 60 (60mm)- O.K. $, 1670g lighter
Zipp 303 (44mm)- $$$ pricey, 1570g light
Zipp 404 (58mm)- $$$ pricey, "best all around wheel," 1675g
Reynolds- DV-46C (46mm) $$$ pricey, 1450g lightest
Reynolds SDV-66C (66mm) $$$ pricey, 1660g lightest deep dish

If you any have a suggestions on a better wheel package- please chime in.
What do you recommend- from personal experience.

Not taking into account proprietary rim shapes, I've read that measurable aero benefits are not achievable unless the total wheel depth is at least 2.5 x the tire width. Thus, a 20mm wide tire would require a minimum total depth of 50mm (tire height + rim). (Similarily, a 23mm tire would need a minimum total depth of 57.5mm)

At what point does the increase in rotating mass + moment of interia outweigh the aero benefits in a moderately hilly course?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
DieselHybrid said:
Not taking into account proprietary rim shapes, I've read that measurable aero benefits are not achievable unless the total wheel depth is at least 2.5 x the tire width.
Often repeated, but total BS. Believe it or not, some 24mm rims are pretty aero... and you definitely get diminishing returns as the rims get deeper. Fewer spokes and aero steel spokes are a good bet.

As for rotating mass and moment of inertia... forget about it. *Weight* will slow you down somewhat on a climb, but you need to be on a very steep hill before the weight penalty of the deeper rims is greater than the aero benefits. It is a small difference in any case though, and unless you really need to optimize performance to hundredths of a mph, it isn't something you need to worry about. Get whatever looks or feels the best and is well made, etc.

·
Registered
714 Posts
rruff said:
Often repeated, but total BS. Believe it or not, some 24mm rims are pretty aero... and you definitely get diminishing returns as the rims get deeper. Fewer spokes and aero steel spokes are a good bet.

As for rotating mass and moment of inertia... forget about it. *Weight* will slow you down somewhat on a climb, but you need to be on a very steep hill before the weight penalty of the deeper rims is greater than the aero benefits. It is a small difference in any case though, and unless you really need to optimize performance to hundredths of a mph, it isn't something you need to worry about. Get whatever looks or feels the best and is well made, etc.
+1.000

·
Registered
638 Posts
Im personally in the same boat and will be ordering some wheels from Neuvationcycling.com this week. They get great reviews on this forum and tend to beat out wheelsets of much higher prices. You can go pretty darn light for a very reasonable price. On a side note people cant say enough good things about the customer service and they offer an extremely reasonable extended warrant and ceramic bearing upgrade for a great price. Check out the site and check out the reviews on this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fivethumbs-
You would recommend Williamscycling 50C wheel ahead of the rest on the list?
Let's see: 50mm, 1570g- light! and $1000. Anyone have any more info personal experience with these?

Personally I was leaning more towards the Flashpoints or the HEDs Jet C2's.

Anyone want to sway me otherwise? I don't part with money easily- this is a hard decision to pull the trigger on expensive wheels. More inputs, please!

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
You should also look into the Reynolds Attack and Assault wheels - they're reynold's answer to Flashpoint etc. - They're the same molds as the mv32 and dv46 rims, with the same technologies, just built by someone else.

Personally, if I were going to buy carbon wheels, I'd get some that were all carbon (reynolds), that I could buy some guaranteed time on (also reynolds - 3 years for $200.)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
DieselHybrid said:
fivethumbs-
You would recommend Williamscycling 50C wheel ahead of the rest on the list?
Let's see: 50mm, 1570g- light! and $1000. Anyone have any more info personal experience with these?
BTW... be suspicious of advertised weights. There was a thread on another forum about how the Williams 30s were 150g over spec... I don't know about this model, though.

AFAIK there is no good weight listing for bike parts except for weightweenies... and their system leaves a lot to be desired. I think there should be a site that makes it super easy to input weights for any part that a person puts on a scale. Maybe on RBR?

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Tremendous bang for the buck!

B15serv said:
Im personally in the same boat and will be ordering some wheels from Neuvationcycling.com this week. They get great reviews on this forum and tend to beat out wheelsets of much higher prices. You can go pretty darn light for a very reasonable price. On a side note people cant say enough good things about the customer service and they offer an extremely reasonable extended warrant and ceramic bearing upgrade for a great price. Check out the site and check out the reviews on this site.
I'm with you! My Neuvation M28 Aero 2's will be at my door this Friday. 1740 grams. $219 for the SET plus tax and shipping for a total of $254.88. At this price, if they work half as well as current owners have said in the reviews, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fivethumbs-

Thanks for the link x2. I am definitely going to add the Williams 50's to the short list.

So, let's see... I've got a few votes for Neuvation wheels, one for Reynolds Attack/Assaults, and 1(x3) for the Williams wheels.

Any other inputs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Since your asking for others.....

I'll throw out Token.
They use the same rims as almost everyone else selling inexpensive carbons wheels.
You can buy them new off Ebay for $750 plus depending on the set

I am using their C50's carbon clinchers on my road bike and their T50 tubulars on my cyclocross bike - both upgraded with CX-Ray bladed spokes and ceramic bearings on the tubulars.

Michael
www.MLKimages.com

DieselHybrid said:
fivethumbs-

Thanks for the link x2. I am definitely going to add the Williams 50's to the short list.

So, let's see... I've got a few votes for Neuvation wheels, one for Reynolds Attack/Assaults, and 1(x3) for the Williams wheels.

Any other inputs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reynolds Assault. All day. $1300 is what you usually see them for. I've been beating on a set for a few weeks now, trying to break them, knock them out of true or something. No dice. Fast, smooth with a very nice braking surface. Hard to argue with. Oh, they're pretty light, too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Grammo Viper 50c

All carbon clincher with American Classic hubs, aero spokes, wheel bag and skewers. They are hand built and the rider weight limit goes up to 200lbs. I got mine at Unreal Cycles dot com.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
American Classic 420's. they list for around $900 but if you are in good with your LBS you can get them for $750.

They weigh between 1460-1550, depending on spokes and last.

I've put around 5000 miles on mine and the bearing are smooth and tolerences tight. I've only trued them once, right after buying them and they need only minor tweaking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.