Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've been looking to get a CX bike for a while now. I've got my eyes on a surly cross check, just because I'm a fan of surly. but what's the best bang for the buck when it comes to CX bikes? I'm a MTBR and don't know as much as I'd like about cross. I probably won't be doing any serious racing, so I don't need top-of-the-line, and I know I like steel (another reason for the surly). I'm mostly looking for a good middle ground that will ride nice and get me where I want it to. it will be partly a commuter and something I can throw slicks on and ride road with my wife as well. any suggestions would be helpful.

J.

· Registered
232 Posts
The Surly is on the portly side but is a very good riding bike that will last a very long time. Doesn't sound like your a weight weenie so I'd recommend the Cross Check. You could also pick up a Soma Double Cross frame and fork for under $500 and build it up. Anything else in the same price range will probably be an aluminum frame.

· eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
no disrespect to the surly crosscheck but it really isn't a great cross bike... didn't gripped call it a do everything but nothing well bike?

Ya can find a great deal on a much better cross bike if you are patient and keep your eyes open for your size...

· lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Pake C'Mute

Along the same lines as the cross check is the Pake C'Mute. 4130 Tange steel, semi horizontal dropouts, eyelets etc. I think it retails with fork for under $400. Never seen one in the flesh, but sounds like one more that would fit the bill for you.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gewilli said:
no disrespect to the surly crosscheck but it really isn't a great cross bike... didn't gripped call it a do everything but nothing well bike?

Ya can find a great deal on a much better cross bike if you are patient and keep your eyes open for your size...
I suppose it depends...do you want a cross bike for commuting and riding fire roads or do you want it for racing. The cross check is a great all-around bike, but not sure it'd be the best race bike.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I'm looking for something strong that I COULD race if I wanted, but I'm not going to be doing anything professional with it. basically, I just wanted to see if there were any others out there like the cross check that hold a good value for the price. I love surly's, don't mind the weight at all (even for racing...heck, I race a 27# steel 29er for mountain!), and like it's versatility. just trying to see what else is out there...I really appreciate the opinions. I do know that I want to buy a new bike, though. I did the whole wait-around-and-spend-every-day-for-8-months-trying-to-find-all-the-right-pieces-for-the-right-price on my mountain bike...too much work. and searching craigslist or fleabay for a bike that is my size and isn't all beat to crap is not what I'd like to do either...

J.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The Soma is slightly more expensive and slightly nicer, but not as versatile as the Surly (vertical drops, less rear tire clearance).

The Pake has a similar dropout to the Surly that seems SS friendly, but the pictures I have seen also make them seem like they offer less adjustment. I have never seen one other than on Pake's site. I have a Pake track frame and the quality is decent enough.

The other options that I can think of off the top of my head cost more, but I am not sure you really get more until you pay significantly more (if that makes any sense).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.