Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
If you want something thin, go with Fizik, a little more thickness go with a high quality cork, and then something a little more go with specialized gel bar tape. Either way you will go through a few rolls with all the cable and housing changes if you ride in the muck. Good luck and enjoy!

· Registered
635 Posts
Dajianshan said:
I agree that black is a better color. I have seen some really nice looking bikes with that pristine white tape for that "classic" look... and I always wonder if it ends up looking like week-old nikes.
White's not that bad. I had two full muddy Seattle seasons w/ white tape on my A bike a couple years ago. I found that spraying it down with Simple Green & scrubbing it off with a stiff brush (the one I use on the car tires) then hosing if off worked just fine. My daughter used the same set up last year as well with no problems as well. FWIW, Deda was the tape we used. I use cheap black profile tape now, it has a good feel to it.

DP

· Registered
175 Posts
Deda

onrhodes said:
Deda is nice, but my frugal side says the best bar tape for cross is black and whatever is cheapest.

I like the Deda in black. Lots of slimy rides and I don't remember wishing for a sticker tape. I also use gloves with fingers when it's muddy.

towerscum

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Yea, I like Deda too. Much better than Cinelli, atmo..

· Registered
712 Posts
specialized tape is REALLY nice. that and Salsa has a tape that is textured like old cloth tape, but has thickness. I love both of those types.

i have fizik microfiber on the road bike and its very slippery. I dunno where the microfiber comes into it.

· Registered
348 Posts
Tightwad options- Nashbar yes Performance no

I've had trouble keeping the cheap Performance house brand tape from slipping after a few rides, no such problems with Nashbar tape, maybe because it's a little more stretchy. The very best bar tape that I've found was Ciclolinea, rubber coated cork if you can find it. Really supple and easy to wrap, washes very easily, great grip when it's wet and tough enough that I used it through 2 seasons of cross racing, and actually transferred it to a second handlebar after it was trashed in a spill and used it for a third season. But I can't find it anymore:nonod: someone please post a link if you have a source!

· Registered
108 Posts
ZenNMotion said:
I've had trouble keeping the cheap Performance house brand tape from slipping after a few rides, no such problems with Nashbar tape, maybe because it's a little more stretchy. The very best bar tape that I've found was Ciclolinea, rubber coated cork if you can find it. Really supple and easy to wrap, washes very easily, great grip when it's wet and tough enough that I used it through 2 seasons of cross racing, and actually transferred it to a second handlebar after it was trashed in a spill and used it for a third season. But I can't find it anymore:nonod: someone please post a link if you have a source!
google is your friend
http://www.bikepartsplace.com/brands/ciclolinea-pelten/
http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/catal...e=price&category=83&subcategory=370&item=3002

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.