Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Since I changed my saddle into black, it is time to buy black handlebar tape to match the color.

Now I have fizik leatherish tape with gel padding under it. I am quite happy with the comfort and it is not so bad in grip when it's wet.

Since I hate riding with gloves, I want something feels better. I didn't like Lizard Skins because it has an unnatural plastic feeling. And I also read that it is getting slippery when wet :D

I was thinking about buying Fizik Superlight Black Soft Touch tape. ? Racing Bike Accessories - Fizik Pro Cycling Gear: grips microtex tape, cycling overshoes and gel pads

It has a good, suede'ish feeling which I like.

But also I am thinking about regular Cork tape. I can also use the cork tape as base layer for my Fizik tape, if I don't like it later.

What you guys are thinking about it? What you recommend me?

Also I wonder if there are any tips about double wrapping.

Waiting for answers. Thank you.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I have been using the Fizik Performance tape since late last year. Its a tough thicker and doesn't feel squishy like the gel does. Check that out.

I agree about lizard skins. It feels cheap and i have found it is real slick in the winter. Usually winter involves full gloves and snot though.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Get a couple of rolls of hockey tape and wrap your bars under the bar tape. You'll be surprised what a diff it makes.

Len

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just went thru the same thing, I have big hands and was unhappy with everything including double wrapping. I went with Bontrager gel tape with their gel inserts I could not be happier. I don't like to ride with gloves on either. I highly recommend checking it out. Total cost of tape, inserts, and installation was around $48.00 at my LBS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Today, after a boring day, I made my walk to home a bit longer and went to my LBS. I bought the cheapest cork tape, which cost me like $6 or something, and came back home.

I took off my Fizik tape but kept the gel padding. I don't know if they have a lifetime but my pads were looking quite OK. Just one of them is in two piece but still OK.
Also, while wrapping the cork tape I didn't stretch it much to keep it nice and tick. Result;
I am quite happy. I even liked the bar-end plugs they gave. It has a carbon-fiberish look and I think it is better than Fizik bar-end plugs.

And also because it is not so expensive, I am able to buy another tape and just throw it away freely.

I think tomorrow I will make a ride and see how they will feel.

Here how they look like;

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Fizik shiny.

In general I like how flat Fizik can wrap (and so therefore thickness/padding adjustment is easy). It's a little grippier than their microtex, but not stupid sticky. I go bare-handed myself, and it's worked out great. Seems a little more resistant to general rub as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.